Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

Re: How do you fund IVF?? Hubby and I TTC since 2006 with no luck!

We did IVF. My son was conceived with our fresh cycle, we had a failed frozen cycle, and a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage for a third and final frozen cycle. From my research insurance in most states won't touch anything coded "infertility" with a 100 foot pole. Ours didn't, though our infertility clinic WAS good about billing certain things under different applicable codes so insurance would pay (certain tests and certain scans depending on the reason; also some meds used in the cycles were covered, but not the super spendy ones). I hope you are lucky and have insurance that will pay some as any little bit lightens the load on the savings account. Our funds came from a combo of places. Savings account established from 5 years of our dual income marriage with no kiddos was a big help. My parents contributed some of the inheritance money for two of our three cycles from my grandmother's estate (she would have been honored to assist in such a way). Some people have taken out loans. And certain clinics offer payment programs, but you are dealing with interest there to. I'd suggest starting with your insurance and your employer's human resources department to see where you stand. Then move on to the billing person at your fertility clinic to see what options are there for payment plans, etc. Good luck mama! This is a difficult road to go down. It is frustrating to not be able to get pregnant in the first place and then it seems insult is added to injury by having to go way into debt in order to explore other options. Look for positive support to get you through!

Advertisement

Last edited by Badonkadonk Knits; 05-03-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Badonkadonk Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
The Royal Ewe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do you fund IVF?? Hubby and I TTC since 2006 with no luck!

As a pp mentioned IL is a mandate to cover state, unfortunately there are loop holes that allow companies to get around it.... If they are self insured they don't have to offer it, based outside of IL they don't have to offer it.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of IL HMO is the main carrier in the state who offers IVF coverage and the coverage is amazing!!! We paid a $30 copay at our Dr visits (only if you see the dr) and everything else was covered.

Last year when the head hunters called dh we had a couple of choices and we specifically moved to IL to work for a company that covers it (if you would like to know who pm me). Prior to dh getting the call from the head hunter here I actually sat for my Pharmacy tech license so I could go work for a hospital or pharmacy that offered IVF insurance (Walgreens does after you have worked for them for a certain # of years, they are based in IL).

There are programs that help off set part of the drug cost and several DRs in IL offer shared risk cycles, where if you don't get pg, after so many cycles you get part of your money back. Here is one of the clinics that offers shared risk and 100% refund cycles http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivfriskshare.htm I know its way far from you but gives a good explanation of both programs.

Good luck to you! Both my daughter and this pg took us 5 1/2yr each to conceive, so I know how hard it is and what an emotion roller coaster it can be
and Queen of the Realm at The Royal Ewe
The Royal Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote