Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone ever lived/worked in Dubai?

My dh lost his job and got a phone call from a company that is working in Dubai. Has anyone ever lived or worked there? My dh asked me if I would be willing to move (I think it would be for two years), we have a 13 month old ds. I would like some input from people who have been there. We have worked in Germany, England, Switzerland and for the last seven years on the US.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone ever lived/worked in Dubai?

Do it! I so wanted to move to dubai but we ended up in thailand. Dubai is really nice and far enough from the hot zones in the middle east. Google expats living in dubai and you should be able to find a forum or some more information. I hope to get to dubai while we are in thailand.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
Do it! I so wanted to move to dubai but we ended up in thailand. Dubai is really nice and far enough from the hot zones in the middle east. Google expats living in dubai and you should be able to find a forum or some more information. I hope to get to dubai while we are in thailand.

Well, we will have to wait and see if he gets the job. Beside that I am really interested in Dubai, we have lived in Switzerland, Germany, England and the States. Dubai would finally be something different. How is Thailand?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
samantha546
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a friend who lived there sans kids and she doesn't recommend living there-- especially with kids. But then I have another friend who is moving there in June and she has a little boy-- almost 2.

Dubai may not be on my top list of places to live, but I wouldn't mind it for the experience. Especially if it's a super opportunity!
samantha546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
linaboo
Registered Users

Just found the thread.May be a bit too late for you and you already made up your mind?Anyway here are my thoughts.I lived in Dubai for 8 years.It is not a bad place to be at,but not the greatest either.It really depends on your family lifestyle.If you are after nature,fresh air,camping,etc-stay away from it.If you are more on the entertaining side(shopping,going out),go for it.Again,you have to consider if you are going to keep your baby at home with you or are you planning to work yourself,so there is a question of childcare.It is a great experience and if you already moved a lot,you'll see that Dubai is very different from the rest of the world.I keep asking myself if I would want to go back and live there now,having a baby(DD is 8 months old).I cannot give a straight answer.There are days when I think I would go if the situation is really bad and my DH loses his job(he works for GM).But when I take my baby for a walk on the trail,we stop to listen to the water in the creek,we pick the flowers,she grabs the handful of dried leaves or fresh green grass-then I say NO,I don't want my girl to miss these beautiful things,I don't want her to play with artificial snow,breath the AC air almost all year round and looking at "man-made wonders" instead of Mother Nature's masterpieces.Hope my review helped you somehow(or did it make the choice more difficult? ).In case you need more info,you can PM me,I'll share more thoughts with you.Best wishes to your family,hope your husband will find a job with easier choices
linaboo is offline   Reply With Quote