Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #31
faithballard
Registered Users

Re: To the mamas who buy little or no pre-packaged foods.

Here is a website that you should definitely check out. Marilyn Moll is "the Urban Homemaker" She has some e-books on meal planning, and bread recipes, etc. One of my faves is "fast and healthy menus for busy moms" and it is great. she even gives you the shopping list.

http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/Produc...idCategory=174

two other resources to check out are... breadbeckers.com (sue becker will send you a free CD on the benefits of grinding your own wheat... you will be astounded...), and suegregg.com (GREAT breakfast recipes, you can make using wheat before you even purchase a grinder. all you need is a blender!)

BEST advice, i have ever received about adapting to this lifestyle: Don't try to do it all at once. Choose one or two things to change at a time, and commit to those. Once you have mastered them, and they are just a part of your life, choose another two or three, and so on. Don't try and do it all out of guilt. Do what you can, when you can, as your budget allows. you will be surprised how quickly and easily your life and outlook on food and health changes.

Advertisement

faithballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #32
JessB
Registered Users

Another momma posted this Condensed Cream of Chicken recipe somewhere. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on it. It looks really good.
http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemad...m_chicken_soup
I really want a grain mill, but I can't afford it at the moment. When I do, I need to ask around in the Amish community around here and see if I can buy some bulk unprocessed grains. I know people in other areas that buy their grains from Amish stores. That might be an option for any of you that are looking for something you won't have to ship.
I've never heard there was any nutritional difference between regular rolled oats and quick oats. I always just thought the quick oats were chopped up more. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?
JessB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #33
JessB
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithballard View Post
BEST advice, i have ever received about adapting to this lifestyle: Don't try to do it all at once. Choose one or two things to change at a time, and commit to those. Once you have mastered them, and they are just a part of your life, choose another two or three, and so on. Don't try and do it all out of guilt. Do what you can, when you can, as your budget allows. you will be surprised how quickly and easily your life and outlook on food and health changes.
Very true. I've been taking baby steps for awhile, but every little thing helps. I feel good every time I add one new healthy routine to our lives, whether it's throwing out some chemical laden cleaner that I've found a great substitute for or learning a healthier way to cook one of our favorite dishes. You can help your family one small change at a time and not get overwhelmed.
JessB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #34
mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mamma, I've had a hard time finding recipes to post just cause I generally don't use any I just make things up Here is how I make sausage out of ground turkey and I'll also give a recipe for granola that we LOVE!

Sausage:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 t each sage and thyme
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg (I don't add nutmeg cause I don't care for the flavor... def not necessary IMO)

Mix together and cook

Maple-Nut Granola
Dry Ingredients
6 c rolled oats
1 1/2 raw sunflower seeds
1 c each wheat bran, wheat germ, and oat bran
1 c dry milk
1 c raw almonds or other nuts, chopped or slivered
1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 c raw sesame seeds
1 T ground cinnamon

Wet Ingredients
1/3 c pure maple syrup
1/2 c local honey, warmed for easier pouring
1 c sunflower oil or other cold-pressed oil
1 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 t pure almond extract

1 c raisins, currants, of dried cherries
1 c dried apricots (or other favorite dried fruit)

1. Preheat oven to 250
2. combine all the dry ingredients and stir well. mix wet ingredients in another.
3. combine dry and wet ingredients and stir well spread on baking sheet. bake for about 1 1/2 hr, stirring every 20 to 25 mins.

OK I def don't follow this exactly... for one I don't use any nuts in mine cause DH doesn't like them and I substitute flax seeds or sesame seeds. If I don't have all the different types of bran I just use what I have. I also don't use almond extract cause I don't have it on hand. So that's about it hope it helps
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for starting this thread Michelle I have read very very good posts.
I try not to buy too much packaged food (although failing lately due to pregnancy and not feeling very well).
When I feel well this is what I do:
-My own pizzas, believe me they taste better and kids have fun adding toppings, even the younger ones!! Make saturday a pizza night!!
-My own pancakes from scratch, the best recipe ever is in allrecipes.com, you will see it, it have lots of ratings.
-oatmeal
-I make a list of the dishes I will prepare in the week and stock for that.
-Make my own bread but not daily, used to do that before but now I have too much in my hands.
-Homemade mac and cheese is the best!!! box kind is yuckkkk

About snaks, I make very frequently banana muffins from the almost spoiled bananas from my husband's workplace (executive chef in a rest) but have to admit that I buy lots of cookies and such.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote