Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BF'ing and South Beach....

I have a 3 month old that is EBF and I'm so ready to get back into a diet/exercise routine...

I've been looking into the South Beach diet and it says it is safe while BF'ing as long as you add 3 extra servings of dairy p/day...no problem for me to drink 3 glasses of milk...LOL

I did Atkins before...(not pregnant or bf'ing)...and it worked SO great for me...but I'll be bf'ing this baby for at least another year and don't want to wait that long to start...

I was wondering if anyone else on here is doing South Beach and BF'ing and/or if anyone would be interested in starting it up with me so we could be diet/exercise buddies and keep each other on track...

What do you say??

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF'ing and South Beach....

Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
vfuller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is almost comical the number of similarities here...

I have a 3 month old who is BF (with some formula supplementing due to low supply...I tried everything to increase it, reglan, fenugreek, blessed thistle, pumping, etc.)

Anyway, I just started South Beach yesterday! It worked super well for me before while not pregnant or breastfeeding and I lost 50 lbs. in about 4 1/2 months. Oh, my name is Valerie too!

Old DS Feedbackhttp://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=13110.0
vfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's so crazy!

I'm glad to hear it worked so well for you...I'm hoping it will for me too!

Atkins was wonderful and I did really well on a limited carb intake for my body type....

Send me a pm if you'd like a diet buddy...I know I need one to help keep me on track.

And I have some ?'s for you too...since I've never followed the South Beach diet.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
LindusandGrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i always thought restrictive diets like southbeach (i did it, it is) were not reccommended while bf'ing b/c it can cause a drop in supply. thats what i was told.

Don't like my lack of punctuation or spelling? Don't read my posts.
"Home is what catches you when you fall. And we all fall."
LindusandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindusandGrace View Post
i always thought restrictive diets like southbeach (i did it, it is) were not reccommended while bf'ing b/c it can cause a drop in supply. thats what i was told.
Usually, of course, but South Beach isn't as restrictive as Atkins. South Beach diet is less structured and emphasizes eating healthier, mostly unsaturated fats. It says on their websites and in the book that if you are nursing it is safe to follow the diet with a few modifications:

Skip Phase 1 ~ Begin w/ & Follow Phase 2 while bf'ing
Add in 3 EXTRA servings of dairy every day - Specifically 3 C of 1% Milk
Don't start until baby is at least 2 months old

The menu plans on South Beach are way more food and better for you food than I normally eat in a day running around with my older 2 kids to their activities, homeschooling, housework, taking care of a newborn & running my own business...LOL

With all that going on everyday I need a structured plan to follow to stay on track.

Last edited by valerieca; 02-07-2007 at 10:40 AM.
valerieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
LindusandGrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oooooooo i didnt realize you skipped phase 1!! now that makes sense, i thought i was going to black out while i was in that phase (1) hmmmm sounds like a good idea actually!! wait to go for doing something for yourself!!

well good luck mama, i hope it works for you! keep us posted!!

Don't like my lack of punctuation or spelling? Don't read my posts.
"Home is what catches you when you fall. And we all fall."

Last edited by LindusandGrace; 02-07-2007 at 05:52 PM.
LindusandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
shannon1979
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not currently breastfeeding, but I did do a modified South Beach diet when I was nursing my daughter. I would still eat fruit and some whole wheat (which might be on the phase 2...I can't remember). I wouldn't eat any sugars/starches, no white bread, potatoes, etc. It worked really well for me. I had gained (gasp) 65lbs. when I was pregnant and I lost all but about 5. I might do it again this time, but hopefully won't gain so much!!! LOL~I didn't know about the extra servings of dairy, but that makes sense. I might have not had enough, and I think my supply was probably effected slightly. I didn't know at the time, and didn't know better, but I did have a decrease in what I was getting when I would pump at work. I think with enough dairy and a well balance you should be fine! Good luck to you!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1979 View Post
I am not currently breastfeeding, but I did do a modified South Beach diet when I was nursing my daughter. I would still eat fruit and some whole wheat (which might be on the phase 2...I can't remember). I wouldn't eat any sugars/starches, no white bread, potatoes, etc. It worked really well for me. I had gained (gasp) 65lbs. when I was pregnant and I lost all but about 5. I might do it again this time, but hopefully won't gain so much!!! LOL~I didn't know about the extra servings of dairy, but that makes sense. I might have not had enough, and I think my supply was probably effected slightly. I didn't know at the time, and didn't know better, but I did have a decrease in what I was getting when I would pump at work. I think with enough dairy and a well balance you should be fine! Good luck to you!!!!!
I'm so glad to hear it has worked for some other mamas!

I gained more than I wanted to with this pregnancy as well. The difference this time is that after 3 months I'm not back down to my prepregnancy weight. And things are flabbier this time around, after my 3rd pregnancy....so I need to give my body some help! LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #10
mama feedbags
Registered Users

i did south beach for a while before christmas...i need to go back to it...i lost 17 lbs in the first 3 weeks! i did do the 1st phase...of course my son was 11 mths at the time so i think that made a big difference. i think that as long as your supply is established and you don't restrict yourself as much as the diet calls for you will be fine. good for you and keep us posted on your results!
mama feedbags is offline   Reply With Quote