Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I"m a terrible cook....

but I did take a really pretty picture of some shrimp kabobs I grilled up for DH on Friday (I had just thrown them on the grill so they weren't cooked yet when I snapped this). I can't cook to save my life but it looked pretty so I wanted to share this photo with you all because even though I really suck at cooking, at least I can take a decent photo Thanks for letting me share

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
fast1
Registered Users

Re: I"m a terrible cook....

everyone starts off from somewhere, don't give up, i am sure you will cook something great real soon
fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
everyone starts off from somewhere, don't give up, i am sure you will cook something great real soon
I hope so. DH is pretty good about not whining but I know secretly that he doesn't like it. I really feel bad about it. I can't even seem to follow a cookbook. It never turns out right.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Those look great! I was a terrible cook when I first started, too. I tried to learn from my mom who never used recipes and would tell me things like, "Well, you just cook the chicken until it's done" and "Just eyeball the amount of salt to add." Not very helpful to someone who knows nothing about cooking. So, I got the Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step cookbook. It's got lots of basics: what equipment you should have in your kitchen, what different terms mean (like dice vs julienne vs cube, and broil vs. bake, etc.), how to cut different meats and how long it typically takes to cook different things (roast in the oven, baked potato, steamed veggies, etc.). There are pictures of the steps involved, so if you are a visual learner, like I am, it really helped to SEE what it was supposed to look like and not just read about how to whip cream until peaks form.

I started off slowly - could only juggle making one dish at a time. But, after using that cookbook for a while, I got the hang of the basics enough to feel comfortable just throwing things together on my own. Now I know how long to cook different things and at what temperatures and how different flavors go together, so I can make up my own recipes and modify existing recipes to my liking.

It takes a lot of practice to learn to cook well (at least it did me). I still make mistakes when I try new things and DH is still my guinea pig! But, I really enjoy cooking now and have been labeled a "good cook" by my friends and fam, so I guess I must be doing something right!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
themummafamily
Registered Users

My Mood:

Those are beautiful!! Good job. I think watching cooking videos is really helpful.
themummafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Mmmm, That looks so good.
I remember the day after DH and I got married, he was eating salmon out of a can for breakfast! I felt so bad. 4 years later I can KILL in the kitchen. It just takes a butt load of practice.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those look yummy!! I love kabobs!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote