Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb BF'ing Q- now a BIG Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borja010 View Post
OK so are 6+ times all long sessions or are you counting each time baby suckles??? How many of these times count as a "good long quality session"??? I was thinking about your 6+ times yesterday and realized that I do put her to the breast quite often throughout the day but the thing is she will have at it for maybe 2 minutes then push it away and shes like "not now mom, it's time to play!" I guess it counts for something b/c she belches after

he will sit/lay and nurse for a good 5-10 minutes, sometimes more, 6 or so times a day and then we have a bunch of "im just thirsty and need a drink" suckles on and off all day. Hes probably at my breast like 10-15 times a day plus the 3 or more night nursings. i would seriously cut back on the amount of solids you're giving her. I think the rule of thumb for the first year is to offer the breast as the meal, then offer the solids after.

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb BF'ing Q- Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
i would seriously cut back on the amount of solids you're giving her. I think the rule of thumb for the first year is to offer the breast as the meal, then offer the solids after.
Yes, it makes sense... Thank you... I held off on even starting her on them at all as long as I possibly could but she was soooo adamant. Even after her first big nursing of the day she will not let me sit down to eat breakfast unless she gets something too... I even tried giving her puffed rice so that it can take her a long time to finish but all that did was make her proficient w/her pincher grasp! Then she eats it all and wants more... Like another poster said I guess she just likes her solids but I def. don't want to lessen production

Tomorrow I am going to try to sit down to a very focused and quiet feeding session every hour in the day, and eat only when she naps and limit her solid food to just a tiny bit just to see what happens.

Other than that any suggestions??? Anyone... Please....

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
meowmixx3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb BF'ing Question/Rant...

As the baby gets older and weans more your milk supply naturally decreases. It works on supply and demand. Also the more active and independent your child gets they will also decrease feedings. As long as she is getting enough fluids..you can give her water or about 80-90% water and the remainder juice.
With solids just give breast first than food. That way she is getting the breast milk first. Its totally normal but as long as she has a good amount of wet diapers and isnt acting dehydrated you are fine. This is just the start of weaning. It seems odd at first but you'll adjust to it..my son has been BF for 15 m now..They increase and decrease feedings according to "their" schedule. Good luck!
meowmixx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb BF'ing Question/Rant...

so howd it go today?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 PM   #15
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another Dumb BF'ing Q- Anyone???

Hey! Thanks for asking!

The quiet, focused time didn't quite work as I had hoped unfortunately. The neighbors had exterminators over so we decided to leave for the day.

Not eating in front of her worked really well though. Out of sight, out of mind perhaps? Maybe b/c we're out of the house and there is too much to see but every time I put her to the breast she was hungry... hopefully we can do this at home too when hubby is not there to help! I guess a large part of the problem boils down to how much food I have to give my little eater to keep her quiet while I eat is just too much! At least if I want to keep production up that is!

Now to strike a good balance...

Btw Ecoria, do you mind if I PM you regarding some questions I have about vacs?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

glad to hear it was fairly successful. i too have a hard time balancing what i feed ds to keep him quiet and happy and whats just for nutrition. i dont wanna use food as a keep him busy tool and teach bad habits, but sometimes its the only thing that will keep him happy for a while so i can get a few things done without him on my back. PM about anything you need.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
tammilf
Registered Users
seller

My sister (a dietician) gave me a great book on feeding your child. Child of Mine, feeding with love and logic. Or something like that...it is down on my night stand. Ellyn Sattler (sp?) I think. She does a great job of outlining and defining a baby's needs and a parents job in feeding. I think you will find a lot of help for your questions.

I am just getting to the end of weaning my ds, who will be 2 next month! I pumped while at work all of last school year and did fall behind his demand at about 9ms. But once I was home in the summer, bf and food was enough for him. I just wanted to reassure you that food doesn't have to interrupt bfing...both serve important needs your baby has. Congrats on the great job you are doing responding to what she is telling you.
tammilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #18
lovinlife
Registered Users

Some things that have helped me when DS has been too distracted to nurse during the day: walking around while nursing (don't know why, but it works every time), lying down while nursing, and singing while nursing. Seems to focus him better. HTH.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #19
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

DD is almost 13 months old and still nurses 3-5 times at day plus night feedings. I would encourage the breast more rather than wait for baby to want it. At around 8-10 months they start getting more distracted by play and "forget" to nurse, so they try to make up for it during meal times. You'll know your supply is low if baby stops wetting dipes and starts losing weight. Baby's poo will also turn a tarrish black color and they'll get constipated. Doesnt sound like your supply is low to me, baby just needs more daytime feedings.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote