Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #11
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vicodin while BFing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
I've been on hydrocodone (generic Vicodin) off and on for the almost 17 months we've been nursing. (More off then on, there's just been several instances for a tooth abcess, and arthritis.) Dd has shown zero ill effects.

Things I have learned:

1. It's much better to take *1* pill of a lower dose and maintain it (ie take it every 3hours45min on the dot) then to get overwhelmed by pain and have to take 2 (which always makes DD drowsy or lethargic).

2. Always, always take it with unleavened carbs. If you take it on a full stomach, it'll still be in your bloodstream/breastmilk but *you* won't get the full effect of the pain relief - which again can lead to doubling up. But on an empty stomach, I vomit multiple times and have ended up with migraines. I now eat several crackers, a warm tortilla, or a cup of dry cereal before I take it. That seems to be just right for not feeling ill, but getting the maximum amount of pain relief with the minimum dose.

3. Nurse immediately before your next dose. It's wearing off at that point and weakest in your bloodstream and breastmilk.

4. Drinking a small amount of caffeine helps counteract any lethargy - weak, milky coffee or caffeinated tea are my personal preferences. you might be a soda person

5. It's a combination of narcotic and inflammation relief. You *can* take one low dose pill + additional plain acetominaphen or ibuprofen. Make sure the dentist prescribes you the lowest dose (2.5/500, I think? Might be 5/500), and if necessary, they are solid and scored and can be halved.

Max, you're probably looking at 48 hours *if* you need it at all. I'd recommend pure Vic for the first 24 hours, 1/2 vic 1/2 acet for the next 24 hours, and then just acet if needed after that.

Oh, and last but most important you are likely to be on antibiotics too. Make sure to get some acidophollus and take it with everything so you and kiddo don't encounter the Evil Yeast Demon. I believe DanImmunity contains it and it's great stuff to wash the chalky pills down with.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #12
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

They gave me vicodin after both C-sections and I BF both DC. Also, for my migraines the pedi advised that if vicodine worked it was safer to take than any other migraine medications
Old 02-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
I've been on hydrocodone (generic Vicodin) off and on for the almost 17 months we've been nursing. (More off then on, there's just been several instances for a tooth abcess, and arthritis.) Dd has shown zero ill effects.

Things I have learned:

1. It's much better to take *1* pill of a lower dose and maintain it (ie take it every 3hours45min on the dot) then to get overwhelmed by pain and have to take 2 (which always makes DD drowsy or lethargic).

2. Always, always take it with unleavened carbs. If you take it on a full stomach, it'll still be in your bloodstream/breastmilk but *you* won't get the full effect of the pain relief - which again can lead to doubling up. But on an empty stomach, I vomit multiple times and have ended up with migraines. I now eat several crackers, a warm tortilla, or a cup of dry cereal before I take it. That seems to be just right for not feeling ill, but getting the maximum amount of pain relief with the minimum dose.

3. Nurse immediately before your next dose. It's wearing off at that point and weakest in your bloodstream and breastmilk.

4. Drinking a small amount of caffeine helps counteract any lethargy - weak, milky coffee or caffeinated tea are my personal preferences. you might be a soda person

5. It's a combination of narcotic and inflammation relief. You *can* take one low dose pill + additional plain acetominaphen or ibuprofen. Make sure the dentist prescribes you the lowest dose (2.5/500, I think? Might be 5/500), and if necessary, they are solid and scored and can be halved.

Max, you're probably looking at 48 hours *if* you need it at all. I'd recommend pure Vic for the first 24 hours, 1/2 vic 1/2 acet for the next 24 hours, and then just acet if needed after that.

Oh, and last but most important you are likely to be on antibiotics too. Make sure to get some acidophollus and take it with everything so you and kiddo don't encounter the Evil Yeast Demon. I believe DanImmunity contains it and it's great stuff to wash the chalky pills down with.
Thanks so much this was very helpful. I never even thought about antibiotics (which is silly on my part ) I'm sure they will give me some. I'm going to call them tomorrow just to find out what and make sure they remember I'm BFing. Again thanks I really appriciate the advice....