Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
shortcake2386's Avatar
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26,069
My Mood:
mexican chicken soup recipe?

i keep craving the chicken soup from La Parilla does anyone know of a good recipe to make it? thanks

Advertisement

__________________
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Starr5678's Avatar
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,886
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

I'm not familiar with the soup from La Parilla, but here's my mom's recipe for Tortilla Soup:

- 1 can Hatch green enchilada sauce
- 1 can chicken or veggie broth
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can whole black beans
- 1 large can whole corn kernels
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 small cans sliced black olives
- 2+ cups of cooked, shredded chicken or chopped tofu
- 1 cup corn tortillas cut into strips
- oil for frying
- handful of chopped cilantro
- For garnish: sour cream, salsa, grated cheese, sliced green onion/scallion, and sliced avocado

Heat small amount of oil in frying pan. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crunchy (few seconds). Drain on paper towels and set aside (you can also season with Mexican seasoning, like McCormick's, when the strips are fresh out of the pan). *When I'm in a hurry I just substitute tortilla chips, but they aren't quite the same.*

In a large pan (can also do this in a crock pot), pour all of the canned ingredients together (undrained) and then add the chicken or tofu. Heat to boiling. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and tortilla strips. (If I know there are going to be lots of leftovers, I forgo stirring in the tortillas strips and let people just garnish with them. That way, the tortillas strips don't get soggy and gross in the leftover soup.)

My mom has also added other things to hers: zucchini, peppers, potatoes, rice, garlic cloves, etc. It's a very flexible and forgiving recipe, so you can really play with it until you get the flavor you like.
__________________
Starr5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
shortcake2386's Avatar
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26,069
My Mood:
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr5678 View Post
I'm not familiar with the soup from La Parilla, but here's my mom's recipe for Tortilla Soup:

- 1 can Hatch green enchilada sauce
- 1 can chicken or veggie broth
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can whole black beans
- 1 large can whole corn kernels
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 small cans sliced black olives
- 2+ cups of cooked, shredded chicken or chopped tofu
- 1 cup corn tortillas cut into strips
- oil for frying
- handful of chopped cilantro
- For garnish: sour cream, salsa, grated cheese, sliced green onion/scallion, and sliced avocado

Heat small amount of oil in frying pan. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crunchy (few seconds). Drain on paper towels and set aside (you can also season with Mexican seasoning, like McCormick's, when the strips are fresh out of the pan). *When I'm in a hurry I just substitute tortilla chips, but they aren't quite the same.*

In a large pan (can also do this in a crock pot), pour all of the canned ingredients together (undrained) and then add the chicken or tofu. Heat to boiling. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and tortilla strips. (If I know there are going to be lots of leftovers, I forgo stirring in the tortillas strips and let people just garnish with them. That way, the tortillas strips don't get soggy and gross in the leftover soup.)

My mom has also added other things to hers: zucchini, peppers, potatoes, rice, garlic cloves, etc. It's a very flexible and forgiving recipe, so you can really play with it until you get the flavor you like.
thanks i think ill add rice and omit olives(they give me migraines ) thats what is for dinner tomorrow night or maybe a midnight snack
__________________
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
daisymommy's Avatar
daisymommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 250
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

I'm bookmarking this thread so I can remember to come back and give you a few that I have too
daisymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
shortcake2386's Avatar
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26,069
My Mood:
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr5678 View Post
I'm not familiar with the soup from La Parilla, but here's my mom's recipe for Tortilla Soup:

- 1 can Hatch green enchilada sauce
- 1 can chicken or veggie broth
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can whole black beans
- 1 large can whole corn kernels
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 small cans sliced black olives
- 2+ cups of cooked, shredded chicken or chopped tofu
- 1 cup corn tortillas cut into strips
- oil for frying
- handful of chopped cilantro
- For garnish: sour cream, salsa, grated cheese, sliced green onion/scallion, and sliced avocado

Heat small amount of oil in frying pan. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crunchy (few seconds). Drain on paper towels and set aside (you can also season with Mexican seasoning, like McCormick's, when the strips are fresh out of the pan). *When I'm in a hurry I just substitute tortilla chips, but they aren't quite the same.*

In a large pan (can also do this in a crock pot), pour all of the canned ingredients together (undrained) and then add the chicken or tofu. Heat to boiling. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and tortilla strips. (If I know there are going to be lots of leftovers, I forgo stirring in the tortillas strips and let people just garnish with them. That way, the tortillas strips don't get soggy and gross in the leftover soup.)

My mom has also added other things to hers: zucchini, peppers, potatoes, rice, garlic cloves, etc. It's a very flexible and forgiving recipe, so you can really play with it until you get the flavor you like.
made it Friday and we ate it for lunch and dinner Friday and dinner Saturday it was sooooooooo good, better than the kind at the Mexican restaurant thanks a bunch
__________________
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
munchkinflame13's Avatar
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,580
My Mood:
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

I just saw this thread. I'm not surprised you're craving la parilla's soup again LOL. Is mexican chicken soup a morning sickness free food for you or do you still have to take the nausea meds? Just curious. . .
__________________
Christina, Jesus-loving, happily married wifey to E and mommy to 4 in my arms and 2 in Jesus' arms
I can knit or crochet anything. I'm a one woman knit and knot shop Check out my DS FSOT thread and my blog if you'd like to see pics of my past creations.
munchkinflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
shortcake2386's Avatar
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26,069
My Mood:
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
I just saw this thread. I'm not surprised you're craving la parilla's soup again LOL. Is mexican chicken soup a morning sickness free food for you or do you still have to take the nausea meds? Just curious. . .
still have the reglan but i dont need it as much and im sorry, but we didnt save you any soup
__________________
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
munchkinflame13's Avatar
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,580
My Mood:
Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

That's ok. But if you're really sorry, you can always make it up to me by making some chicken brunswick stew and saving me some

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
still have the reglan but i dont need it as much and im sorry, but we didnt save you any soup
__________________
Christina, Jesus-loving, happily married wifey to E and mommy to 4 in my arms and 2 in Jesus' arms
I can knit or crochet anything. I'm a one woman knit and knot shop Check out my DS FSOT thread and my blog if you'd like to see pics of my past creations.
munchkinflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.