Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
mexican chicken soup recipe?

i keep craving the chicken soup from La Parilla does anyone know of a good recipe to make it? thanks

Advertisement

JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Re: mexican chicken soup recipe?

I'm not familiar with the soup from La Parilla, but here's my mom's recipe for Tortilla Soup:

- 1 can Hatch green enchilada sauce
- 1 can chicken or veggie broth
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can whole black beans
- 1 large can whole corn kernels
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 small cans sliced black olives
- 2+ cups of cooked, shredded chicken or chopped tofu
- 1 cup corn tortillas cut into strips
- oil for frying
- handful of chopped cilantro
- For garnish: sour cream, salsa, grated cheese, sliced green onion/scallion, and sliced avocado

Heat small amount of oil in frying pan. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crunchy (few seconds). Drain on paper towels and set aside (you can also season with Mexican seasoning, like McCormick's, when the strips are fresh out of the pan). *When I'm in a hurry I just substitute tortilla chips, but they aren't quite the same.*

In a large pan (can also do this in a crock pot), pour all of the canned ingredients together (undrained) and then add the chicken or tofu. Heat to boiling. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and tortilla strips. (If I know there are going to be lots of leftovers, I forgo stirring in the tortillas strips and let people just garnish with them. That way, the tortillas strips don't get soggy and gross in the leftover soup.)

My mom has also added other things to hers: zucchini, peppers, potatoes, rice, garlic cloves, etc. It's a very flexible and forgiving recipe, so you can really play with it until you get the flavor you like.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr5678 View Post
I'm not familiar with the soup from La Parilla, but here's my mom's recipe for Tortilla Soup:

- oil for frying
- For garnish: sour cream, salsa, grated cheese, sliced green onion/scallion, and sliced avocado

Heat small amount of oil in frying pan. Fry tortilla strips in oil until crunchy (few seconds). Drain on paper towels and set aside (you can also season with Mexican seasoning, like McCormick's, when the strips are fresh out of the pan). *When I'm in a hurry I just substitute tortilla chips, but they aren't quite the same.*

In a large pan (can also do this in a crock pot), pour all of the canned ingredients together (undrained) and then add the chicken or tofu. Heat to boiling. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and tortilla strips. (If I know there are going to be lots of leftovers, I forgo stirring in the tortillas strips and let people just garnish with them. That way, the tortillas strips don't get soggy and gross in the leftover soup.)

My mom has also added other things to hers: zucchini, peppers, potatoes, rice, garlic cloves, etc. It's a very flexible and forgiving recipe, so you can really play with it until you get the flavor you like.
thanks i think ill add rice and omit olives(they give me migraines ) thats what is for dinner tomorrow night or maybe a midnight snack
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
daisymommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm bookmarking this thread so I can remember to come back and give you a few that I have too
daisymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr5678 View Post

- oil for frying

made it Friday and we ate it for lunch and dinner Friday and dinner Saturday it was sooooooooo good, better than the kind at the Mexican restaurant thanks a bunch
Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just saw this thread. I'm not surprised you're craving la parilla's soup again LOL. Is mexican chicken soup a morning sickness free food for you or do you still have to take the nausea meds? Just curious. . .
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
I just saw this thread. I'm not surprised you're craving la parilla's soup again LOL. Is mexican chicken soup a morning sickness free food for you or do you still have to take the nausea meds? Just curious. . .
still have the reglan but i dont need it as much and im sorry, but we didnt save you any soup
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's ok. But if you're really sorry, you can always make it up to me by making some chicken brunswick stew and saving me some

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
still have the reglan but i dont need it as much and im sorry, but we didnt save you any soup