Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question Breastmilk yogurt-help needed!

I don't know if this belongs in the recipes, breasfeeding, thrifty mamas, or other forum[s]?

FYI, we're dairy/wheat free due to son's excema and loose stools [sorry, what a way to start a food-related thread]

We noticed that the week we started him on yogurt [stonyfield yobaby] he turned into a different baby--a monster! with quick movements and less sleeping... growling [no joke] and hitting and biting! He was SUPER intense all the time, and wound up. I think it was from the increased sugar. My husband doesn't think about it either way, but I have the bitemarks to prove it. He was smaking teachers at daycare too. He's been off the yogurt for a week, and now he's in obvious withdrawl with mood swings and lots of crying and frustration... poor guy!

Due to the dairy restrictions, I used my own breastmilk to make my own yogurt and was semi successful-- I used kefir for the starter in first batch, and, DUH, it made a kefir drink which DS didn't go for [smelled good and tasted okay]. Then I used some of the remaining yo baby containers, and that turned out okay, but i think i killed the culture trying to get the temp right since it didn't thicken nearly enough. Plus my milk separated so easily, the fat was really thick but the watery stuff was only slightly thickened. I think I have the process down now using my huge crockpot to incubate and Yogourmet starter packs [one pack at a time because I dont have 6 quarts of fresh milk at once!! LOL! plus it's only for DS, so need only a few ounces/week]

Have any of you mammas used your own breasmilk for yogurt? Am I out of place even asking? Even try it just out of curiosity? I have frozen milk bags [from before I change my diet], do you think I could have success with those [although some separate and have tiny "curds" when thawed]? The other option is to feed him the thawed milk and use my freshly expressed for yogurt.

I guess I know what the answer is, but am looking for any advice or experiences.

Thanks mama!

Mom to J Jun'11, T Jun'08 and wife to W trying to live more sustainably and be good stewards of the earth and the gifts we're given.
retromamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Breastmilk yogurt-help needed!

I think the breastmilk has so much antibody activity it might be trying to kill off any competing bacteria like the yogurt culture. If it was fresh breastmilk you used, maybe next time try some thawed milk from your frozen stash. I remember studies about freezing reducing number of living cells in it.

You could try taking the breastmilk yogurt and straining out some of the liquid to make it less watery. I do this with regular yogurt by putting a coffee filter in a sieve over a bowl and pouring in the yogurt to drain for a couple hours.

If your milk just doesn't work out for the yogurt, you could try coconut milk. I tried that for my dairy-intolerant ds, to try and get more probiotics into him for his gut health, and it works pretty well and is really yummy, too.
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote