Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
ST13031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
freezing cheese?

Does anyone know if you can freeze blocks of cheese? Like the small packaged blocks of kraft chedder cheese for example?

Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
kenziesummers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: freezing cheese?

Yes! We do it! We also shred some and freeze it. BUT we have a food saver vacuum sealer thingy. But we do!
kenziesummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
ST13031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenziesummers View Post
Yes! We do it! We also shred some and freeze it. BUT we have a food saver vacuum sealer thingy. But we do!
awesome, thanks! So you have frozen the block style in the manufacturer packing, right? Or do any extra to it with the food saver? I would so love to have one of those! I have been asking for one for christmas for the past 2 years LOL
Thank you again!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
kenziesummers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent tried freezing the whole block in the original packaging because of how long it would take to defrost. We cut it up into a "typical use of cheese" or slice it or have shredded packages for burritos. Pull it out a few hours before dinner, or keep a stock of sliced in the fridge. One way to save $$ with the food saver is that we re-use the bags to re-freeze in.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
mom2abbie
Registered Users

My Mood:

We freeze cheese all the time. Slices, blocks and shreds. We cut the block into cubes for DD and freeze them in ziploc bags and pull them out a couple hours before we need them.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just recently froze cheese for the first time. I got a huge bag of shredded mozzarella cheese at Samsclub, and froze half of it in a gallon ziploc bag, squeezing out as much air as I could. I didn't use up the other half until a month later, and just yesterday I took out the frozen cheese to use. I put it, still frozen, on our pizza and it tasted fine. The rest has defrosted and does not appear to have changed in taste or texture. It's not a finely ground cheese, which may or may not make a difference, and like I said I only froze it for a month, so it did not have much time to get freezer burn.