Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: eczema... pleaase tell me all!

My ped told me that regular baby lotion is junk (although it smells nice) and said to try Cetaphil. I didn't change anything else. I just put that on her every day after her bath and it stays under control. I use it for both kids and me now! It's a little expensive but lasts a long time.

Mama to Jillian 9/02, Miranda 5/05, Natalie 11/06 and Lucas 12/09!
bbjbryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

I didn't get the chance to read all the replies so this may have been covered. My youngest has eczema. It started last summer on his feet and ankle area. It got to the point were it was cracked and bleeding. My ped told me it was just because he was a little cubby. Anyway, I took him to a dermatologist - she was great, she put him on a rx and gave me some great tips. Only bath him twice a week. Young children and babies do not produce a lot of oil for skin until puberty so bathing washes away what they do have. When you do give them a bath use lukewarm water and do not let them soak to long. Do not use an soap or baby wash with fragrance she recommended cetaphil cleanser. Right after they get out of the tub slather them with Eucerin Cream (not lotion). I apply the cream at least once a day usually before bed and we use 100% cotton pjs. HTH
Perri - Mom to 4 boys, Beau, Niko, Konstantine and ltbaby Liam born 11-18-07
nikolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by aimee
I am glad I am reading this, my poor ds who is 2 months old has broken out in the SO bad in the last couple of days. Could it be the detergent? His whole back is covered, his arms and some of his forehead. What is the BEST solution to it?
My DS was the same way. At 3 months, he started breaking out in eczema patches all over his body. The doctor precribed Cetaphil cream and a reduction in the number of baths. This helped, but his skin still looked bad. At his four month appointment, he had only gained 13 ounces in one month and was spitting up a ton, so the doctor was concerned about possible allergies. He recommended cutting out dairy in my diet. Within 3 days of no dairy, his eczema was gone. Anytime I slip and have dairy it comes back. We also found out that he is allergic to oatmeal due to the same symptoms.

It is better to find the cause of the reaction than to treat the symptoms. I would look at food allergies or other allergies as a possible cause. I hope you find out the cause soon!
Heather - Mommy to Matthew 9/05 and Eli 2/11/09
Fiber Artist and Designer at Western Sky Knits
Visit us at WSK for hand-dyed yarn and fiber
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote