Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
zacksmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So confused!!! VERY LONG!!! Allergic colitis, formula trial, etc.

Alimentum is actually the 1 formula that doesn't contain corn, but it does have dairy (casein), which my ds reacted to as well.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacksmama View Post
Alimentum is actually the 1 formula that doesn't contain corn, but it does have dairy (casein), which my ds reacted to as well.
It's 1st ingrediant in Simulac Alimentum is corn: 35.5% Corn maltodextrin
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
zacksmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
It's 1st ingrediant in Simulac Alimentum is corn: 35.5% Corn maltodextrin
Hmmm...maybe there are different Alimentums. Not trying to be argumentative. Here's the one I tried:

Source: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp93769_33...dy_to_feed.htm

Alimentum Advance does not look or taste like milk or soy formulas. It may separate in the refrigerator. Shake well before using.

Ingredients:
Water (87%), Sugar (4.4%), Casein Hydrolysate (2.3%), Modified Tapioca Starch (2.2%), Safflower Oil (1.4%), Medium Chain Triglycerides (1.3%), Soy Oil (1.1%), Less Than 1%: C. Cohnii Oil (Source of Docosahexaenoix Acid (DHA)), M Alpina Oil (A Source of Arachidonic Acid (ARA)), Calcium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Potassium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Hydroxide, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, L Cystine Dihydrochloride, Potassium Chloride, L Tyrosine, Choline Chloride, L Tryptophan, Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, M Inositol, Zinc Sulfate, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, L Carnitine, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D 3, Cyanocobalamin

No corn?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacksmama View Post
Hmmm...maybe there are different Alimentums. Not trying to be argumentative. Here's the one I tried:

Source: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp93769_33...dy_to_feed.htm

Alimentum Advance does not look or taste like milk or soy formulas. It may separate in the refrigerator. Shake well before using.

Ingredients:
Water (87%), Sugar (4.4%), Casein Hydrolysate (2.3%), Modified Tapioca Starch (2.2%), Safflower Oil (1.4%), Medium Chain Triglycerides (1.3%), Soy Oil (1.1%), Less Than 1%: C. Cohnii Oil (Source of Docosahexaenoix Acid (DHA)), M Alpina Oil (A Source of Arachidonic Acid (ARA)), Calcium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Potassium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Hydroxide, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, L Cystine Dihydrochloride, Potassium Chloride, L Tyrosine, Choline Chloride, L Tryptophan, Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, M Inositol, Zinc Sulfate, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, L Carnitine, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D 3, Cyanocobalamin

No corn?
Differance in the Advanced and Regular, also differance in the powdered and ready to feed - amazing how something can be made so many diffrent ways....
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #15
zacksmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
Differance in the Advanced and Regular, also differance in the powdered and ready to feed - amazing how something can be made so many diffrent ways....
Gotcha All the more reason not to trust formula companies IMHO.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #16
weddell
Registered Users
seller

My dd is allergic to milk, sesame, and eggs. She has had allergy testing and so we know these are true allergies and NOT intolerances. She had a skin test rather than the blood test because we knew which allergens to test for. The hypo-allergenic formulas, like Alimentum contain casein (which is what people who have a true milk allergy are allergic to), but it has been so processed and and the protein deconstructed that it shouldn't cause a reaction in someone with a dairy allergy. If a baby has a reaction to it, there are other even more processed formulas to try, but they are by prescription only.

Like someone else already said, if you have a true wheat allergy, it doesn't matter how the wheat is processed, whether by factory or you, it will still cause a reaction. There is nothing you could do at home that would be capable of altering the proteins in wheat or most other foods to make them hypo-allergenic. Commercial factories can sometimes do it though. The milk example given (pasteurized vs. raw) would work for someone with a true milk allergy, maybe just an intolerance to something added in the factory processes.

Hope that helps!
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #17
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

why the move to formula? did the doc suggest that? why? I am sooo sorry if I missed something but where did the dx allergic colitis come from?

hows it going????

we had to eliminate for over 1 month before we saw a marked improvement and it was so worth the effeot! I still am on a restricted diet but again - so worth it! stick to it! you can do it!!!!!

hows his weight gain been???