Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Adyson's Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is the USPS required to pick up mail in residential areas?

I'm wondering the answer to this, because a while back I tried to mail some bills from my house by putting them (very obviously visible) in our home mailbox to be picked up by our mail delivery person. Well, two days went by and she didn't pick them up. So a little peeved, I went down to the Post Office, stood in line, asked for my letters to be mailed and why the mail person didn't pick them up. In a not so pleasant way, the lady looked at me and said "It's a privilege for residential mail to be picked up, it's not required." huh? I have never heard of this. My town isn't even that big. And in every other place Iíve lived, the mail person picked up my mail. Has this happened to anyone else? Or is there anyone that works for the USPS that knows if this is correct?

Advertisement

Adyson's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is the USPS required to pick up mail in residential areas?

In all of my 34 years on earth, I have NEVER heard that. We put our mail in the box, in front of our home. We flip up the little flag on the side, and the mail carrier takes the mail. Perhaps it's because you live in a small town? Is the mail delivered to your home, or do you have to pick it up at the PO?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Us4&AngelCorey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wth!! My parents live in the boonies and yeah like pp said lift up the flag, they take the mail.

due January 26
Us4&AngelCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Us4&AngelCorey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp

due January 26
Us4&AngelCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Adyson's Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope it's delivered to our home. I've lived in small towns pretty much my whole life, and have never had an issue like this. It makes me a little PO'd. haha PO'd at the PO!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
my4monkeys
Have you ever had a "feminist oreo"

My Mood:

Wow, I have never heard of that, I would call the postmaster in your town. Thats just bizarre! If they can't even pick the mail up anymore maybe the should stop raising the postal rates, jerks.
my4monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

weird . .never heard of a not picking up the mail . . .not as long as the flag is up. It isn't like it takes a lot of extra time or anything . . .
Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Xeia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just spoke to one of my family members who works for the postal service. Turns out it is a "privilege" to have mail picked up in town. (That's the actual word he used, too.) Huh. He said:

If you live on a rural route (mail box on the road with a flag), they must pick up outgoing mail if the flag is up, regardless of whether you have mail incoming. That is, they have to pick up your bills to go out, whether or not they were going to stop there already.

However, if you live in town (mail delivered by a walking carrier), they will usually pick up outgoing mail, but only if you have incoming mail. This might, depending on the postmaster, be at their discretion though, as if they are already loaded down with other people's incoming mail (catalog day, free paper day, etc), they might choose not to pick it up that day. If you have no incoming mail, they are not required to go to your box and see if you have any mail outgoing. That is, they aren't going to come and look for your bills if they weren't going to your box anyway.

Hope that answers your question.
Xeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Adyson's Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh man....well than that settles it. It's a privilege. I guess because I grew up in the country on a rural route I thought that was what the mail carrier was required to do. huh....that sucks.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
cheeky
Registered Users

My Mood:

that doesn't excuse the rudeness of the postal worker, she could have just said "it's possible the mail person wasn't stopping at your box and was filled with mail that day" or something.
cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote