Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

Quick question about signing

I recently got the book Sign with your Baby and we're ready to start signing with DS. Is the sign for "nursing/breastfeeding" the same for "milk"? Garcia says the sign for "milk" can be used for breast milk or cow's milk, so is this still the same sign for "nursing"?

Advertisement

gabby's_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quick question about signing

No, its different. I believe the actual way to is sign "FEED" near your breast. But some people just sign "MILK" right in front of the breast instead because its a lot easier. Just to warn you though - Joseph Garcia doesn't use ASL 100% of the time. Some of his are made up. If you're teaching signs just to use during the baby/toddler years, then it doesn't really matter. But if you're wanting them to use them long-term, its best to teach real ASL. Oh, and I highly recommend the Baby Signing Time videos.

http://www.signingtime.com/

They also have a forum - its really helped me when I need to know how to sign something or just for inspiration.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info. I had heard so many good things about the Garcia book - I was not aware that some of his signs are made up! My only thing about the signing times videos is that we don't want DS to be watching tv (he's only 6 months). I'm not sure how it would work iykwim.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hadn't been signing with my daughter (she's 11 months now), but thought I needed to start teaching her so yesterday when we were eating I was signing "more" to her when she was all done eating the few bites of pears I put out for her and then giving her more. She caught on quick (I was amazed my 2nd child didn't catch on that quick...she's my 3rd). However, it was too cute when she'd sign "more"...she wasn't even close to signing more, she'd just start clapping. Oh well, she would clap twice and expect pears so whatever works as long as I understand
momma2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's_mama View Post
Thanks for the info. I had heard so many good things about the Garcia book - I was not aware that some of his signs are made up! My only thing about the signing times videos is that we don't want DS to be watching tv (he's only 6 months). I'm not sure how it would work iykwim.
Ah, I see... he's so little that he might not pay much attention anyway... but the Baby Singing Times mostly feature babies and they sing a lot of songs and stuff. So it is really educational. But honestly, they could even help YOU until you're ready to let him watch. I watch right along with DS and I've learned a lot myself.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
ailinfrank
Registered Users

Some people will distinguish breast milk from cows molk by ususing the sign for "mommy" then the sign for milk for breastmilk. THen for cows milk to do the sign for "cold" then the sign for milk.
HTH
Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

I just checked out that signing time link and I have the same sweater that Rachel is wearing. I saw this when I was pregnant and thought about getting it. I've got a birthday coming up. . .do I ask for signing time videos or the sakura bloom green tea ring sling. . . Decisions decisions.