Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Coughing-when to worry?

My 4 yr old has been sick with a regular cough for a few days now. Last night my 15 month old coughed a little, just enough for me to know he was getting sick too. This morning when he woke up, he started with these coughing fits that made him gasp loudly in between and get really scared. I have never heard either of my children cough like this before. You could see the tears streaming while he was coughing and when he finally stopped he cried and cried. We got up and he is playing, and is fine inbetween fits, with the exception of being tired and clingy. When I put him on the changing table to change his dipe, he started with the fits again, and they came on and off until he had been up walking around for a few minutes.

What should I watch out for? I am surprised this came on suddenly. I have not put him flat since, but naptime is approaching and I am nervous about that. I go to see my lung dr after lunch for a followup for me, and the kids are coming. I know that I can ask him some questions too. I guess what I really need to know is, what would be bad enough to bring him to the ER before then?

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Coughing-when to worry?

It sounds like Post Nasal drip. When he lays down the snot starts running down his throat causing the coughing until he clears it out.

No I wouldn't go to ER for this, especially with the dr appt after dinner.