Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
spathakis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vaxing and International Travel

There is so much talk going on here about Vaxing.......

I have a situation I need some advice from you moms.
I am due in June with baby #2 and wish to Travel to india soon after the baby is born and stay about 2 months with family before i return back to the US.

A little bit of background I am from INDIA born and raised there.I vist almost every year. How soon you think I can travel from a vaccination stand point.
I vax my first child until she was 1 year old on schedule she is 20 months and has travelled to india 1 time since she turned one

ANY EXPREINCE and ADVICE

My doctor says i have to wait at least 2 months to get th efirst round of shots...

ALSO i do work full time and will get only 3 months at the most of maternity leave and so could not wait for every to go.
I either go right after birth like 4-6 weeks or then after 1 year when i can take vacation again

I am so confused........
help please

Advertisement

spathakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vaxing and International Travel

I'm confused. Are you concerned about your new baby being exposed to diseases, or about being allowed back into the U.S with an unvaxed child? Or something else I'm not getting?
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
spathakis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Conserned about the new baby being on a plane for 18 plus hours with no vaccinations.......
NOT WORRIED ABOUT COMING BACK
spathakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's just like anything else- I mean I'm concerned about my vaxed child being in any cramped quarters or places where there's weird germs running rampant (taking them to the doctor, hopital and airport are the worst IMO). I wouldn't be like "more" scared since your child isn't vaxed. There's way wicked weird bugs out there that there is no vax for what-so-ever. I guess what I'm saying is whether or not you choose to vax your child it's a concern either way- if you BF you'll have a better line of defense.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do they vax in India? When we were considering visiting Turkey soon after DD2 was born I had the doctor look all that up for me. If they also don't vax until two months then don't sweat it. Vaccines are given at specific times for a reason as they are most effective then or because the immunity you pass to the baby is still in effect until then. Talk it over with your doctor.

Also if they do the TB vax in India you should discuss that with your doc as well.

Have a great trip!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9D02E5DD133BF930A1575 4C0A9669C8B63

Looks to me like if the baby is healthy, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're nursing, then baby should be getting antibodies from you. And even if you're not, it seems unlikely that there would be anyone on the plane who is contagious for something that could be vaccinated against. That said, there might be issues other than lack of vaccination that might make you want to postpone your trip. Recovery from a C-section (should you end up needing one, and should you have a long recovery period) comes to mind. But if baby is 4-6 weeks old, then from this article it looks like you should be fine.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I would wait until the baby is at least 4-6 weeks just for concern of being in cramped quarters w/sickies. I dunno about you, but there's always someone hacking away on planes when I go. I've done a lot of international travel & it's hard on the body sometimes.

That being said, if you're BFing as PP mentioned, baby will be protected from you by antibodies... so that would be very beneficial to EBF, & a lot easier from a travel standpoint as well. I highly suggest a sling/carrier where baby will be close to you & baby can sleep away most of the trip in there & be close to mom in the carrier & shielded maybe even w/a blanket (I always get chilly on flights anyway) & keep the germs at bay - sort of like most Asian folks put on masks when they're sick, you can do this w/carrier/blanket as a preventative measure on the plane. Once you get there I'm sure it's fine.

I traveled w/DS a lot as an infant internationally but he was a bit older, 4-5 mos... but above being said made it easier. I also would tell you that traveling now will be much easier than when baby is a year old... especially since you already have another child to worry about... at least now one of the will not be mobile so you'll only be chasing one LOL
Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I owuld wait until the 4-6 week mark. Breastfeed as well. If you feel vaxing is needed, then find out if theres any outbreaks currently and maybe do those.
Otherwise, i wouldnt really get a whole bunch of vaxes.
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i am pretty sure that most vaxes require more than one dose to transfer immunity anyway, so even if you do vax before you go, baby will only have gotten one dose at most. also, i traveled with my boys when they were 4 weeks and it was the easiest travel we have had with them. definitely go when s/he is a newborn!! one year olds are so hard to entertain on a plane, as im sure you know. have a great great time!! i would love to go to india one day. i think i would eat my way across the country!!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

There is no reason to wait for the first round of vaxs becasue one dose will not provide immunity anyway. The concern with air travel is that on the plane the same air is recirculated durring the flight and with that air can come germs. Just boost your own immune system with GSE and Vit C and your baby will benifit when s/he breastfeeds. I traveled with my dd around 4 weeks and it was easy, much better than a 1 year old. Enjoy your trip.