Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why won't she sign 'milk'?

I'm thoroughly confused. I've been signing w/ DD from day 1--she can sign milk, drink, tea, water, cat, cereal, apple, dog, mom, uh-oh, finished, want, i love you, fish, bye-bye, hello, more, what, ball, nose and book (although an outsider who knew ASL would prob. only be able to understand 1/4 of those )
Milk was the first word she signed and she'd do it before BF. Now tho, she just whines and eventually throws a temper tantrum when I try to get her to sign 'milk' before BF (I just don't want to encourage her to whine and try to pull up my shirt like she is currently.)
No matter how long I want, or how DH and I try to encourage her, she refuses to sign 'milk'--then once she starts BF, she signs it repeatedly. What's up with that? She obviously knows how--why won't she sign it?
It's not a big deal, but I'm just curious--anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why won't she sign 'milk'?

I thin its just a phase just like when we get them to say please they will for awhile but then they dont *want* to have to do it YKWIM?? Anyways I think it will pass Id just keep working with her
Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
ri'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
I thin its just a phase just like when we get them to say please they will for awhile but then they dont *want* to have to do it YKWIM?? Anyways I think it will pass Id just keep working with her
I agree . . . "milk" was ds's first sign too. He would do it all the time and then one day, he stopped. I don't know why, but he wouldn't, no matter how much we coaxed. Then after he started saying the word, he would sign it again. Who knows . . . guess he was channeling his energies into a new task to master.
ri'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess its just one of those "I know what you want me to do so I'm not going to" things. DS went through a "milk" strike too and would only sign it after he got it. No idea why!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, wouldn't you know..she's signing milk like it's her job now! (Even when I mention milk in a conversation w/ DH!) Guess you ladies were right!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
penny13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd will sign milk when she wants it right then, otherwise, it is alot of pointing and whining... we ask her to say PLease and Thank You, and she signs it...

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY ETSY STORE: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=25410
penny13 is offline   Reply With Quote