Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding WIC question

my wic office supplied an electric pump, a Purely Yours, Ameda pump free of charge for me to keep!!! If I wanted a hospital grade they would have rented that for me. They have been super helpful and supportive. And in fact while they do not allow things like Rice Milk and such in the coupons, I asked that they cancel off the milk from our coupons because we do not drink cows milk they were totally supportive and thought it was awesome we were seeking an alternative. They are pushing and writing to their main office all the time to try and allow more and more alternative foods for women so we have the choice to make healthier choices, my WIC office during during the summer gives 30 dollars for the farmers market and so forth...they said that wic will be offering soy milk soon instead of cows milk.

Advertisement

jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
my wic office supplied an electric pump, a Purely Yours, Ameda pump free of charge for me to keep!!! If I wanted a hospital grade they would have rented that for me. They have been super helpful and supportive. And in fact while they do not allow things like Rice Milk and such in the coupons, I asked that they cancel off the milk from our coupons because we do not drink cows milk they were totally supportive and thought it was awesome we were seeking an alternative. They are pushing and writing to their main office all the time to try and allow more and more alternative foods for women so we have the choice to make healthier choices, my WIC office during during the summer gives 30 dollars for the farmers market and so forth...they said that wic will be offering soy milk soon instead of cows milk.
We get the farmer's market checks too! I love them! I thought it was sad that my case worker told me that I was one of the very few mamas she had seen this past summer who was actually happy about the farmer's market checks. I said why not? My kids LOVE veggies and fruits, especially fresh ones like that! I hope they offer soy milk soon.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
reiterin
Registered Users

My wic office gives out free manual pumps. They also give little 'gifts' each visit for bf'ers, like a water bottle, snack cup, nursing pads, etc.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Texas WIC provides a Ameda Purley Yours Breastpump for free (no renting) after I think 4-6 weeks of exclusivly nursing and going back to work or school.....and if you have a baby/newborn in the NICU and you are seperated from them, they will provide you with a loaner Hospital Grade Breastpump (free) from the get go.

Also they provide in addition to the "regular WIC stuff" carrots, farmer's market vouchers and tuna for mama.

Since my DD is allergic to Diary, Soy, Wheat/Gluten and Egg White, we are now off WIC due to there is really noting that they can assist us with (other than juice and we don't give our DD juice). They did however replace my APY a couple of weeks ago when it up and died without any problems at all!!!!
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011

Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; 02-23-2007 at 09:58 PM.
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #15
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, that is true to a degree.. Our WIC dept has lactina pumps they will loan you IF you solely breastfeed but it's first come first serve and moms to preemie's get the first pick over all. That's about all you get here, and vouchers. They have nutritionists to help you but we have no one that's a trained or certified breastfeeding edu.. Actually when I was struggling to BF my dd and got a pump from them the nutritionist I seen has NEVER breastfed and had no idea how to even begin to put the pump together. There is no free gifts, NOTHING like that here.

You would think as $$$$ formula is they would make breastfeeding a TOP priority!! They don't at all though.

Last edited by Luv2bemommy; 02-23-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Luv2bemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #16
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just to note, you don't hvae to get tuna...you can also get salmon instead. I get the salmon....and make a great salmon noodle casserole. lol
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #17
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I am in TX and when DS was born & in the NICU for 5 weeks I got a Ameda Elite (hospital grade) on loan for free and since no one needed until he was about 5 months old I got to use it until then.

With DD when I went back to work (6 weeks) I was having a supply problem so again got to use the Ameda Elite for 2 months (no charge), after that they gave me an Ameda Purely Yours double electric to keep for free, I even dropped it and broke it and they replaced it with a new one for free.

I also got additional milk, tuna, carrots and a couple other items that is escaping me at this moment until DD turned 1.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 AM   #18
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I was on wic when bf my first baby, and it had its benefits. Just take the nutrition and bf advice with a grain of salt. I remember being told that my 10 month old was breastfeeding "too often" and that avocados were "too high in fat" for a baby to eat. Dumb.
Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote