Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Help! New to Nystatin

My DD has a yeast rash from her antibiotics, and I treated the last yeast rash from antibiotics with Lotrimin over the counter and that cleared it up. The Nystatin was prescribed by one of the two Family Practice doctors (They're both idiots and I'm never going to take my DD to them again when her Ped isn't in the office) in the office where her Ped is located; Her Ped wasn't in the office today when I brought her in due to her allergic reaction to the antibiotic.

The notes from the pharmacist says to not put a tight diaper or plastic diaper on during treatment with the Nystatin. Do I just let her go around sans diaper all the time when she's on the Nystatin? I use cloth, but since everything but the fitteds, prefolds and wool have been eaten alive by my detergent, She's in sposies which is probably making the yeast rash worse.

I'm skittish about using the Nystatin since my DD is allergic to it when it's in an oral preparation.

Why are the only medical providers in my town Idiots, apart from my DD's pediatrician who's getting older and more tired?

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with Nystatin while cloth diapering and Front Desk people who put your children with idiots who have medical degrees?

TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by slomom; 02-23-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I haven't slept in 4 days.
slomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! New to Nystatin

i think that they do not want on tight fitting because it can rub the cream off. I used it when my son had a NASTY rash after 2 various antibiotics and it really helped. I tried using an OTC cream like you did but it didnt work. You really need to use the nystatin so that it doesn't come back. The OTC stuff will work only temporarily.

You dont need to leave the dipes off, just use a prefold or something w/out a cover. You only use the Nystatin 2-3 times a day so its no biggie.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
razz116
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've been prescribed Nystatin everytime DS is on antibiotics 'cause he gets bad poopies with them and we've never been told that. I just rub it on well and put a barrier between the cream and the diaper. We've been fine with that.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nystatin doesn't work worth crap for my DS. I get lotrimin instead and it does great.

When DS goes on any anti-biotic, I start applying a little lotrimin and giving him pro-biotics the same day. That way the yeast never gets a chance to start. After one seriously bad, 6 week long yeast fight, I learned my lesson!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

for my DD when she was in sposies I would use a fleece liner between her & the sposies to help shield her from the sposie causing the infection in the first place (thankfully I was soon after enlightened to CDing). But now whenever she has to take antibiotics I also give her probiotics so the yeast infection doesn't even stand a chance.

The Ny stuff never worked on DD, but then again, only switching to cloth worked for her so I'm not much help
Old 02-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynn View Post
for my DD when she was in sposies I would use a fleece liner between her & the sposies to help shield her from the sposie causing the infection in the first place (thankfully I was soon after enlightened to CDing). But now whenever she has to take antibiotics I also give her probiotics so the yeast infection doesn't even stand a chance.

The Ny stuff never worked on DD, but then again, only switching to cloth worked for her so I'm not much help
The pharmacist said to not use the Nystatin cream if she's allergic to it when it's in the oral suspension form; and that the prescribing Dr. was an idiot for prescribing it and telling me to continue the anti-biotic she's allergic to.

Since she isn't eating anything but cheerios, peeled and chopped seedless grapes and breastmilk (I've tried the BRAT diet and to no avail), I don't know how to give her Pro-biotics (my sister bought the tablet form instead of the geltab one that I could have poured into her mouth)... She won't take a bottle and reluctantly drinks from a sippy cup and that's with the valve removed.

I've used Lotrimin in the past and it cleared the rash right up. And right now i'm using the all natural diaper rash salve from Northern Essences and it's clearing up the rash.