Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Going to try one more time and need advice

Nicole, here's a link to the ILCA website, the organization for IBCLCs.

Good luck!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Registered Users
Wink Re: Going to try one more time and need advice

First and foremost, try not to think of your bad experiences nursing, and know that each babe is different! Go into it relaxed, and things will come much more easily - you'll even feel more confident getting through the nursing humps that many women encounter.

Secondly, definitely get in touch with LLL or a private lactation consultant. Especially if this babe is preterm, as well. Premies can have a more difficult time latching and sucking well. Also, it's possible to nurse after pumping for a couple of weeks, but there's nothing like a baby's suck to bring milk in/increase supply. A consultant or LLL leader would be able to give you pumping advice if you need to go that route again this time.

Lastly (and another reason why a consultant would really help) - seriously cracked/sore nipples are almost always due to a latch problem. The slightest change in angle or hold can make a world of difference.

Here are some remedies for nipples that are sore/cracked (beyond the routine newborn tugging discomfort): pure lanolin ointment, olive oil, expressed breast milk (allow to air dry). Also, for cracked nipples, soaking the nipple in a medicine cup-full of normal saline (purchase at drugstore or make your own) at each feeding time really really helps heal the skin. No perfumed lotions or soaps should ever be used on nipples (they're irritants).

Feeding should be a happy time for you and the baby! Good luck and stay positive!!!
brooklynmomcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by mama0609 View Post
You can start using lanolin before birth... It does help. But to 'condition' your nipples is a bad idea!!!

I don't have much outside of what the PP said... GL! You can do it mama!!!
Wife to NG Soldier Sam, SAHM to Kevin born 9/11/05 , and toddler son Asher born 10/14/08 and Alyse born 3/18/11.
livn4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by dzachryrn View Post
I agree 100% with the posts above. With your history of preterm deliveries, I would stay away from those nipples! Nipple stimulation can throw you into labor. With your past experience, you probably don't want to do that again if at all possible.

Good luck!

Exactly what I was gonna say!!
magsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Registered Users

Severely Cracked nipples aren't always a sign of poor latch although just one time can do it! I had severe nipple trauma even though my DD latch was pretty good. I have severe eczema which made it worse AND I'm sensitive to lanolin. I highly recommend that you test the lanolin stuff BEFORE you rub it all over your sore nipples! If it gets really bad your doctor or LC can prescribe All purpose nipple ointment which has a bunch of crazy stuff in it and needs to be made by a compounding pharmacy. That stuff saved me and my ability to nurse my DD! No matter how bad it feels it WILL go away soon. Definitely talk to the LLL people too. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Rubyjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
Registered Users

You might consider pumping in the beginning to help supply and reduce engorgement (and thus chances of mastitis). I also found that once my babes' mouths were a bit bigger, they latched much better. My daughter was naturally a better latcher than my son, but she was better baked, so to speak, so much more developed than he.

Also, while this is not a popular option, you can pump and bottlefeed until such time as you and your baby can more easily nurse. I think that poor latch sometimes has to do with the development level of baby - the earlier/less well developed babies have a harder time learning to nurse and it can be really painful for mom until they can nurse well.
Jaz. Married to an awesome man, mama to two three cuties,
always missing our butterfly baby.
Earn gift cards or paypal $ with Swagbucks by searching with swagbucks!
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote