Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #271
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
What makes you think that people who do cir'c there boys are not informed???????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie'sMama View Post
I think we feel this way because we can't possibly understand why someone who knows what is involved in the procedure, knows it's painful, knows it's unnecessary, knows all the complications that can result in up to 10% of circs, and knows it's not recommended by any medical organization would still choose to do it.
yep

I can't see how someone would want to cut pieces off their precious babies! I can honestly say that I didn't do much research on leaving my son intact. To me just the thought of it (and watching a video) turned my stomach.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #272
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't know what we're having yet (hopefully we'll know Tuesday!) but we've never discussed this honestly. I have a feeling my DH is going to put up a fight but I hope to show him this info/video and see if he agrees with me. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #273
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
We don't know what we're having yet (hopefully we'll know Tuesday!) but we've never discussed this honestly. I have a feeling my DH is going to put up a fight but I hope to show him this info/video and see if he agrees with me. Thanks for sharing!
My dh put up a fight at first, but I just said no way would I let it happen to my baby, and then I left him alone to think about it. A few weeks later he asked to read the research, and then he agreed; now he is so happy we didn't circumcise our sons and it is a non-issue!

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #274
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have any boys, but we decided a long time ago when I was pregnant for the first time that if we were ever blessed with sons...they would remain intact.

In my mind, I consider circumcision to simply be the equivalent of FGM (female genital mutilation, i.e. the "female" circumcision) and they both seem extraordinarily barbaric. Being that it is cosmetic (not medically beneficial), it ranks right up there with running out and piercing a newborns ears or giving a young child a tattoo. While our children are indeed our children, they deserve the benefit of respect as individuals. There is a difference between being a parent or making your children a mirror image of your beliefs and wants in the world. I would never DREAM of cutting off a part of my child's body based on my own desires.

My husband was very "on board" with circumcision before we were pregnant. He was circumcized, and unfortunately had succomb to all the medical misinformation about how uncirc'd men get constant infections, somehow contract HIV more easily, and even experience LESS sexual pleasure! I was greatful he was open minded enough to read all the literature and change his mind. Now, he can't BELIEVE how many people still go in for it.

The most common argument I hear from my friends (and nearly 100% of them have circumsized boys) is that they "feel it is important for a boy to look like his daddy, and/or his brothers." That argument is absolutely ridiculous to me, since NO child will ever be a carbon copy of their parent. The dad may be thin and tall, and the son is short and stalky. What - is their world going to crash down because they are not a model of their father? Such silliness!

I also think that the whole argument that what is medically "recommended" is what parents should do is bunk. Even IF the entire medical community was still pushing circumcision, that doesn't make it right. Just like parents who chose not to vaccinate, or dont introduce cows milk, or don't give their children solids at 6 months don't make them "crappy" parents.

And for whatever it's worth, I dont think I need to RESPECT everyone's opinions about everything. That isnt the way human beings, or the world, work. I am completely allowed to disagree (both internally and verbally) with anyone and any opinion I like, and quite frankly I find it interesting that the people all up in arms about being "respected for their choices" are usually the ones doing exactly what social stigma dictates. Mothers who formula feed are very defensive, and are positively infuriated when anyone talks about formula badly. But breastfeeding woman have to deal with a great deal more "grief"....between nursing in public, how long they breastfeed, if they do it with two children at the same time.

Just examples.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #275
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well i am getting my flame proof underwear on... but I am one of those "incomprehensible" and "mutilating" mommy's who has had both of her sons circed and if this baby is a boy, he will be as well.....

My DH stood right next to the doctor and held our sons hands as the procedures were performed and actually said neither child cried at all.....

For me it is not something i feel strongly about - DH does... and he feels strongly that our boys should be circed. His reasonings are his own, and as such i will not try to do them injustice by bumbling along a typed explanation.....

I love my sons just as much as any mother, and am frankly really annoyed when i get told over and over again how horrible and unfeeling i am because i let them get cicred. I don't consider it defensive, I am not upset, just totally over all the objections to my choice.

I dont mind people totally disagreeing with my decision, everyone is entitled to think/choose for themselves. But if i don't ask for input, i don't really see why people feel the need to express it to me.... :shrug:

That's just my

Last edited by Mags462; 06-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Mags462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #276
anabellee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitz2308 View Post
For you mamas who have convinced your SO what facts did you give them to help change their minds? I am due in Feb and I still have to convince mine!!!
I said you'd be prying the babe from my cold dead hands before I let that happen again (ds1 is ds2 isn't). we fought and I cried for days and he finally gave up. ds3 won't be circ'd either.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #277
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtchen79 View Post
It may be a legal practice to opt for circumcision, but the person who consents to the procedure should be the person who owns the genitals.
I couldn't agree more!!!!! I don't see how anybody (even a parent) has the right to decide to mutilate another human being simply because of their own SELFISH preferences.
DH wanted to circ DS (not sure why, he's Asian and most Asians don't circ, but DH is...). I told him no and we argued and did not come to an agreement. After DS was born, DH said he couldn't go through with it. Which was great, saved him from losing an argument

Last edited by sma123; 06-20-2009 at 12:10 AM.
sma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #278
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing, in case I ever have the time to sit and type more than this!
Oh, we have 3 males in this house, and unfortunately only 1 is intact! DH is sorta, kinda thinking about reading some information on foreskin restoration. Yay!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #279
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well i am getting my flame proof underwear on... but I am one of those "incomprehensible" and "mutilating" mommy's who has had both of her sons circed and if this baby is a boy, he will be as well.....

My DH stood right next to the doctor and held our sons hands as the procedures were performed and actually said neither child cried at all.....
I truly hope that it wasn't painful for your sons during the procedure. I'm just speaking as the wife of a DH with a botched circ to let you know that sometimes sex is painful for me because of my husband's circ. You may think he's not hurting now, but his future wife may have to hurt all their married life. I don't think you have the right to do that to her.
FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #280
vhcmom
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Our son was born with an undescended testicle. The doctor said that one of his "cords" was too short. Which meant that it would not go into the sack on it's own unless "stretched" medically. At birth, we did not chose to have this horrible prcedure done to our son, but not because we knew anything about it-because the state medical healthplan didn't cover it, and as young uneducated parent's we had no idea what it entailed anyway. When he was 19 months old, he had surgery for theundescended testicle. The doctor informed us that he recommend that he circumcise him while in surgery. I had a sick feeling about it, but didn't say anything because my "MOM" (sort of an adopted Mom who had been my Mother's best friend scince I was 9, and sort of took over after my Mom died) and Husband were all for it and said we should go ahead and let the doc do it. I wish I had listened to my own instinct. After his surgery his poor little penis was so swollen and bruised. I cried and cried (so did he!) but everyone around me was like, "He'll be fine Barb-it had to be done." To this day, I regret allowing such a procedure which is not medically necessary at all to have been preformed on my baby boy! If there be anymore boys in my childbirthing years to be born to me-THEY WILL BE LEFT IN TACT!
vhcmom is offline   Reply With Quote