Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
mom2littleman
Registered Users
Formerly: jdunn79
seller

My Mood:
Re: dd has a "well" visit tomorrow

IMO, well visits are important even if you don't vaccinate. They screen for developmental problems, growth and assess for subtle problems that you wouldn't always be able to pick up on your own (for example a heart murmur). At your DD's age they would also check a lead and hemaglobin level.

I've never heard of insurance requiring well visits, but it doesn't surprise me. Insurance companies would rather pay for preventative medicine or catch something early when it is easy to treat.

Advertisement

mom2littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2littleman View Post
IMO, well visits are important even if you don't vaccinate. They screen for developmental problems, growth and assess for subtle problems that you wouldn't always be able to pick up on your own (for example a heart murmur). At your DD's age they would also check a lead and hemaglobin level.
Ditto. We don't vax, but we still do most well visits.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinium View Post
Your insurance requires well visits? Why? That is odd.

The reason I like them is it is a chance to get to know the doc. We don't do them all but we do most so the girls meet and greet the doc. Plus, our ped caught something with dd1 that I would have missed and it was important. So, I do think they have an important role. You would never know if your child had a hearing problem or a heart murmur or if there was a muscle tone issue. There are a lot of things docs check for at well visits that parents would never know how to catch without medical training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2littleman View Post

I've never heard of insurance requiring well visits, but it doesn't surprise me. Insurance companies would rather pay for preventative medicine or catch something early when it is easy to treat.

I also wanted to develop a relationship with a pediatrician for the simple reason that if he does get sick I want to know who's treating my LO and have someone to go to if I have a medical issue/question. And esp. since toddlers are so prone to falling and what not, I didn't want to have a situation where I did end up going to the ER and have no pediatrician on my side.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: dd has a "well" visit tomorrow- UPDATE

updated post 1
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I think that may the best "provax" story yet. Pedis can be so silly sometimes. I'm glad you dd is on track. I do keep up with well checks (though not nearly as many) to keep up a relationship with the pedi. I probably wouldn't if he weren't so good about everything, but he was my pedi as a kid and I really like him. He doesn't pressure about vaxes and is either with me on stuff or at least keeps his opinions to himself. With Kearnan's special needs I feel it's important that I keep up with the pedi of record for him, and it has been nice for things like when Tharen had torticollis and needed a referall to a chiro, and then watching his head shape to ensure he didn't need a helmet ect. But so far the pedi has never noticed something I hadn't already. Now the DAN! Dr, he picked up on Kearnan's vision problems that both the pedi and I had missed. He's been able to read more into the why's of Kearnan than anyone else and it has been very helpful.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is interesting that they had a story printed out about it...indicates there are probably a lot of parents refusing or delaying vaccines. Dumb example to use though...LOL.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote