Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
SugarAndSpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Garage Sale Prices

For me it really depends on the wear, brand, and condition. I pay about 7.00, or even more, an outfit at our local consignment shops.

I bought my DD a Gymboree dress the other day for 6.00, but it was like new.

Here goes my "normal" price list, for our area (and of course, like I said, taking into consideration the condition, brand, and wear):

Jammies- Not more than 3.00 or 4.00
Shoes- No more than 10.00 for my oldest or 3.00 for my little ones
Jeans- No more than 5.00
Shirts- No more than 3.00 for the little ones (Lucky Brand long sleeve onesies with tags the other day, I paid 5.00 for that) and 4.00 for my big girl
Dresses/One pieces- 3.00 for the little girls, 5.00 for my big girl
Small toys- No more than 3.00
Big toys- No more than 10.00
BIG yard toys- No more than 20.00
Baby Gear- Anywhere from 5.00 to 50.00 depending on what it is (highchair, double stroller, playard, ect)

But I'm like that because I know how much it costs to buy it in the first place. If it's in great condition, I will pay and EUC price. If not, I won't. I did get a pair of Chanel shades the other day, with the 300.00 price tag on them for 12.00. And yes, I do barter. Never hurts to try, some people are desperate to get rid of things, or it might be their first sale..and they just aren't sure what things are going for in your area.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
TyNLilysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What gets me is that people pay 15.00 for a set of clothes then try to sell it used for 12.00 at a yard sale. I find it hard to pay that much for any clothing I buy. Which is probably one of the reasons I dont have 'name brand' clothes. or fancy diapers. I cant see forking out 45.00 for 1 diaper.. But I suppose if you have the money people can do that. But Ive always had to struggle growing up my mom had 3 paper routes and supported 3 kids on that. I barely had socks. So I appreciate my money when i have it. So when I have a yard sale like we did this past weekend, I always think of the other person. Yea so they have a nice car and I dont.. Do I really wanna hold on to this crap for more time? Its no use to me and if it can help another or clothe another baby, Why not. I sold 3 bags FILLED to the max for 35.00. The guy was so thankful. He had 2 grandbabies that had no clothes. We sold a swing for 1.00, a bouncer for 1.00. My daughters dresses are 1.00, singles are .50 and coordinates for 2.00. And usually i give things for free away too.. If people wanted to spend 7.00 on an outfit im sure they wouldnt be out at a yard sale.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I once went to a sale and grabbed like 4-5 kids books WITHOUT prices. When I asked how much she wanted she said $7.00. What I was expecting $1-$2. I just dropped them back in the box and left. Crazy!

I hope everything sells at my sale this weekend. I'm willing to take a nickel if I don't have to take it to Goodwill.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't dream of bartering at a garage sale unless I had a LARGE amount of items to buy. A price is a price, not a starting point.

I don't expect to pay more than $3 for an outfit unless it's spectacular.

Toys, $5 or under, period, but I did pay $10 for my Cozy Coupe.

Onesies 50cents
sleepers $1.50 at most
shoes $2
books 25 cents to 50 cents
DVDs no more than $2
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyNLilysMommy View Post
What gets me is that people pay 15.00 for a set of clothes then try to sell it used for 12.00 at a yard sale. I find it hard to pay that much for any clothing I buy. Which is probably one of the reasons I dont have 'name brand' clothes. or fancy diapers. I cant see forking out 45.00 for 1 diaper.. But I suppose if you have the money people can do that. But Ive always had to struggle growing up my mom had 3 paper routes and supported 3 kids on that. I barely had socks. So I appreciate my money when i have it. So when I have a yard sale like we did this past weekend, I always think of the other person. Yea so they have a nice car and I dont.. Do I really wanna hold on to this crap for more time? Its no use to me and if it can help another or clothe another baby, Why not. I sold 3 bags FILLED to the max for 35.00. The guy was so thankful. He had 2 grandbabies that had no clothes. We sold a swing for 1.00, a bouncer for 1.00. My daughters dresses are 1.00, singles are .50 and coordinates for 2.00. And usually i give things for free away too.. If people wanted to spend 7.00 on an outfit im sure they wouldnt be out at a yard sale.
This is totally me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
I once went to a sale and grabbed like 4-5 kids books WITHOUT prices. When I asked how much she wanted she said $7.00. What I was expecting $1-$2. I just dropped them back in the box and left. Crazy!

I hope everything sells at my sale this weekend. I'm willing to take a nickel if I don't have to take it to Goodwill.
That IS crazy! I'm spoiled by the thrift shop where my mom works. paperback books are 10 cents and hardcover are .50. I can always find great children's books there!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomgoat View Post
I wouldn't dream of bartering at a garage sale unless I had a LARGE amount of items to buy. A price is a price, not a starting point.

I don't expect to pay more than $3 for an outfit unless it's spectacular.

Toys, $5 or under, period, but I did pay $10 for my Cozy Coupe.

Onesies 50cents
sleepers $1.50 at most
shoes $2
books 25 cents to 50 cents
DVDs no more than $2
Really? I have never heard that before. People, for as long as I can remember, are always open to bartering at yard sales. Not everyone may ask me, but if a person says "hey, I'll give you 10 instead of 12" I always say yes. Stuff isn't that important to me though that I have to make the last penny.