Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
~LiLaC~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Flying and Carseat Questions

I am planning on going to visit my Mom, finally, next month but I don't know what to do about the carseat issue. She does not have one there, so I wanted to bring mine, cause we'll need one and neither of us can really afford to buy a new one. If I bring it with me, can I bring it on the plane? Can I attach it to the seat and put DS in it? How does this work? I'm not thrilled to have to lug it around the airport by myself (DH won't be coming) but its a Britax Marathon and I really don't want to check it and have it get damaged since I've seen how they can get beat up

So what does everyone normally do when flying, and what would you suggest? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flying and Carseat Questions

Can you call or have your mom call, a local baby consignment shop and see if they rent them? I have a Marathon too and I would hate to lug it through the airport. If you can't find a store, maybe a car rental place would rent the seats seperately?
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have the gogo baby wheels that go on the back of our car seat. I love them. It turns the carseat into a stroler for the airport. I wouldn't use them like a real stroller out of the airport, but it was a huge lifesaver with 4 layovers getting to Hawaii. We did have a seat for DD, so we attached her carseat in the seat and she sat in it for take off and landing but prefered to be in my lap for the rest of the trip. She was 6 mo when we moved here.

I will be flying home with her alone in Sept when she is 18 mo. Completely different story here - we will still bring the carseat with the gogo baby wheels, but since she will be babe in arms (we can't afford a seat for her - the Navy paid for hers to get here) I will be either asking if there is a free seat to put her carseat in and use it (my preference since I can tie her down that way) or I will have to gate check it at each leg of the trip.

Like you, I have to bring mine since my Mom can't afford to buy us one just for the 2 weeks we will be there and none of our friends' kids are even close enough in age to have one still hanging around to use.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
Can you call or have your mom call, a local baby consignment shop and see if they rent them? I have a Marathon too and I would hate to lug it through the airport. If you can't find a store, maybe a car rental place would rent the seats seperately?
Please dont rent a carseat - they are often dangerous to use (many are expired, missing parts, or cleaned with bleach which ruins the straps)

Bring the seat with you, you can get a little cart with wheels on it to pull it at the airport, or rent a luggage cart and put it on there. Install it on the plane - same as in the car with the planes seatbelt. (I install ds's seat rearfacing on the plane). If you are installing forward facing, it might help to ask for a belt extender (just ask at the gate before you get on the plane) - this will make it easier to install and get the seat out later, you dont have to have it tho.
Its way safer to have your child strapped into their carseat and they will be more comfortable than sitting on your lap for hours in a tiny space, or trying to sit in a regular seat with nothing.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
ariandsofiesmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I fly, I take my daughters car seat on the plane (I have a Britax Marathon as well)...I would suggest getting a bag to put your car seat in. You can buy them at Target (Eddie Bauer brand)...The bags work well and hold up well too! It protected the car seats great. One other thing that I have used before is the CARES harness...It is sooo easy to use! It was much easier using that than carrying a car seat on the plane for my son...The harness is made for that purpose.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First...your Britax seat is FAA certified, so you can bring it on the plane. The other thing you can do is leave it at the end of the segway, and it'll be the last thing in baggage, and the first thing off. The likelihood of it getting damaged is very low. I do however, recommend bringing it on the plane with you. Your child will be more comfortable that way.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have this:
http://www.theportablebaby.com/gogokidz.html

it is awesome! it is truly worth the money. you just attach it to your carseat and put your child into the carseat, pulling him/her around the airport with you.
Plus, if you are travelling alone, everyone will be willing to help you.

i would never rent a carseat personally, it would not be safe in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
~LiLaC~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, I won't rent one. I would love one of those wheel attachments, but I can't spend $80+ for something that will be used once. I guess I am just going to have to lug it around or try to find a cart and hope for the best. I am truly dreading this trip
Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
we have this:
http://www.theportablebaby.com/gogokidz.html

it is awesome! it is truly worth the money. you just attach it to your carseat and put your child into the carseat, pulling him/her around the airport with you.
Yep, that's the one we have too. You can find them on craigslist and baby consignment stores sometimes. I *love* it. I am going to get one of the FAA child "seatbelt" restraints too this trip in case there is a seat open and just gate check the carseat. We plan to be flying at least twice a year every year for the forseeable future so it was a good investment for us while we are still travelling with a car seat.

From what I understand gate checking your car seat is the best option if you can't use it on the plane with you. A friend of mine just uses a cheap luggage cart for her carseat. She travels all the time with her son and swears by them - besides, if they break she is only out the $15.