Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
moving back to DFW - need rec's

We are moving back to DFW after being in New Mexico for the last 2 years. I have to return to teaching and the district I left (and loved and lived in) isn't really hiring due to major budget cuts. Our home here probably won't sell before we leave so we plan to rent when we land. I would love to hear recommendations...

Which area do you recommend for public schools?

If you rent, what area do you live in and how much do you pay?

Anything else you want to share or recommend?

My older son will start kindergarten this fall and my younger son will be 14 months. When we lived in DFW before, I taught and had a home day care provider watch my older son. She was wonderful but I don't know that we'll be close enough to her to use her care again, and I don't even know if she has openings.

My husband is already there, living with a friend in N. Arlington and commuting to Grand Prairie for work. So obviously we hope to find something that is a reasonable drive for him. He leaves at the crack of dawn, but works 12 hour days so has to drive home in rush-hour. We would like to find a rental house/townhome with 2-3 bedrooms, and we have two dogs that will be coming with us. They are older, crate-trained, and inside 90% of the time.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
twolittlebums
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: moving back to DFW - need rec's

I am not sure which area of DFW you are needing to move to but the Wylie, Murphy, Plano, Richardson corridor has excellent schools. Wylie ISD has a lot exemplary rated elementary & middle schools and you could get a great home for a good price if you decide to buy. Keep in mind that Texas has ad valorem tax (property tax) but no state income tax - so the more expensive your home is the higher your property taxes are. You can get a large 4 bedroom, 3 car garage with game room & office for about $230,000. Homes with 3-4 bedrooms are on average about 1500.00 a month for rent to 1200.00 a month. I have no idea how much apartments or town homes are. Also Frisco and Allen all have high rated schools too and of course West Plano as well. It just depends on what part of the DFW area you need to live. Highland Park area is nice, as is the SMU area, which is more expensive of course. The DFW area is huge, and covers a lot of cities.
twolittlebums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
twolittlebums
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, I forgot to mention some Plano schools have a daycare program for teachers too! You might want to check that out if you are going to move in that part of DFW.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
twolittlebums
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry I just now realized you will be in the Arlington/Grand Prairie area...that's what I get for trying to read & post with two little ones running a muck in the house.. sorry. I can't help you out in that part of town.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's okay - I appreciate your input. We rented a home in Mansfield since that's where we lived before and knew the area really well. It has good schools too, which is nice because my oldest starts kindergarten. I would have loved to live in Wylie or Frisco, or even Prosper - but my dh refused to commute that long and I don't blame him I guess. We were able to rent a 4/2 for $1400/month in rent - the very very very top of our budget but there wasn't a lot we could find that allowed dogs AND was in a good neighborhood AND was big enough. We aren't buying a home because our home here in NM hasn't sold.