Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What do I do now?

My 22 month old decided to pick today to learn to climb OUT of her crib. We had kinda been dragging our feet about getting her a "big girl" bed with the new addition due in September, but I guess it is now inevitable.

How do I transition her? What do I do? We have a convertible crib, so I don't think I want to go buy a new bed for her right now (and we already bought the crib for the new one)... She has NEVER slept outside of her crib/pack n play (when traveling) and the occasional nap in the carseat (again when traveling)...

Any advice would be appreciated

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do I do now?

We found our toddler bed at a second hand store. It's practically brand new and wood (which I really wanted) and just added the mattress from his crib. I'd try craigslist or a consigment store to see if you can find something very reasonable.

DS was about 20 months when we transitioned him. We followed the Supernanny. We put him to bed. The first time or two he got up, we simply told him it was bedtime and put him back. After that, we just took him back and put him in bed. It took about a week or so for him to understand and stay in bed, but it was fairly quick and easy. Every once in a while now, when our schedule has gotten off or something, he'll start getting out of bed, but we just put him back, and after a night or two, he gets the picture and stays there. It's been more difficult this summer, because the sun is out so late.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
bkaburgi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in the same situation with our 20 mo. old ds. And our 3rd is due in Aug. We finally moved him to his new bed last night. We did the supernanny thing too. After 3 hours and about 60 times putting him back in his bed, he finally went to sleep! Then he slept through the night. All I can say, is that this had BETTER not take longer than a week because it's thoroughly exhausting! Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
budafam
Registered Users

You've waited too long. (personal opinion). Get a bed, put her in it, put a gate up and go to sleep. She might spend a few nights asleep on the floor but eventually she'll figure out that the bed is much comfier and move there.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Is this the first time she's climbed out? My DS did this once and then never did it again - I think he scared himself (this was about 4 months ago)
Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
CouponMama
Removed from FSOT. Do not buy or trade with.

Thanks for this thread. My 2 3/4 year old (will be 3 at the beginning of September) is still in his crib. HGe has never climbed out, but I know it is time to transition him soon. I think for his 3rd bday we are going to get him a new big boy bed (toddler bed) and a new toddler bedding set with cars on it and act really excited about it.

Thanks for the ideas about just keeping on putting him back in his bed. I can see us now having this problem, which is kind of why I have waited so long to do it. But with a new baby coming in January and me not wanting to buy a 3rd crib, its time.
Shannon- Mama to two boys, DS #1 (09/06), DS #2 (5/08), and DD #1 (12/09)... Loving my life having a baby girl and ebfing
CouponMama is offline   Reply With Quote