Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #31
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: First food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
So is this only true if you don't buy organic carrots? I buy organic when I don't have any in my garden, but otherwise I grow all my own veggies organically.
well, organic carrots have nitrates too...it's from the soil. i would say the MAIN things i take away from that article are

1) conservative approach (AAP) - to delay starting those veggies that are more likely to have nitrate concentrations (spinach, broccoli, carrots, beets) until baby is 8 months old and their system is mature enough to handle

2) be aware that most nitrate poisoning comes from contaminated well water

3) organics are likely to have less nitrate concentrations as are commercial jarred baby food (b/c they screen for nitrates)

4) don't use the cooking water in making your purees of root & leafy green veggies

i have to say that i didn't worry a huge amount about this issue b/c dd really was at least 8 months before she really even got more than a tiny taste of anything on her tongue....certainly no where near enough to be concerned about.

i think that while it's something to be aware of, my impression is that it's not a huge risk.

Advertisement

Last edited by wbkt8; 06-01-2006 at 08:13 AM.
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #32
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other responses, so my apologies if this is a repeat.

With ds #1, 12 years ago, I didn't give anything until close to 9 months. He wasn't interested, so I didn't offer. Then it was just a little off our plates, a bite of yogurt, etc. He ate maybe 10 jars of baby food before he ate table food full time. He has alwas been a great eater, will try anything, loves fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc.

Ds #2 was waaay different. By 5 months he wanted everything on our plates and put it directly in his mouth. No gagging, or problems. He wanted to eat. I only gave him a dab here and there, but by 6 months he was eating homemade food, a little at first, then more. I started with veggies. He loved them. Then fruit, then mixes, then meat. He really never liked plain cereal, plus they clogged him up the couple times we tried them. He was eating mostly table fod by 9 months. At one year he quit eating just about everything and is now a very picky eater. Not sure if it would have been that way no matter what.

BM supplies all your baby needs, so go with what he seems to want. Give him a taste of your mashed potatoes, a bite of applesauce, some juice off your peaches, the flavor of a raw carrot, etc. Let him taste lots of different things without feeling like he needs to "eat" them. He just needs to explore the world of tastes.

To make your own food I like the wholesomebabyfood site. I only added enough bm or water to make it blendable. Then if it was too thick when it thawed I add a bit more. Be careful to not make it too thin in the beginning.

GL!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #33
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Noticing a post above, my day care boy started on BM, then formula at 4 months. He was EFF till after one year other than a few Cheerios.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #34
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend's MIL EBF one of her children for 3 years - BM only. I can't imagine the caloric needs of a 3 year old. She must have eating 20 times per day! LOL

thanks for all the input ladies. We will be starting solids by the end of June and you've given me alot to go on. I've also laughed about the idea of sugary fruits -BM is so sweet as it is - they're already used to sweet stuff if they BF!