Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

stripping diapers...yeast infection

My DS is on an antibiotic right now for his 3rd UTI (Yes, 3 in 5 months...we're being referred to a ped. urologist)

He's been on MANY different antibiotics before, and never had a yeast infection but i think he does now! I have some cream the hospital gave me when he was admitted at 12 days that contains Miconazole Nitrate and dimethicone, which i've heard should clear it?

But, what do i do with my dipes? I've been laying in a fleece liner so the cream doesn't get on the dipes (and tossing the liner after)..do i need to strip them? HOW?

I "strip" them with Sensi clean every few washes, but is that sufficient to get rid of yeast?

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: stripping diapers...yeast infection

I would use vinegar and then, if you can, sun them for a bit in direct sunlight.

eta: Sorry to hear about the UTIs. I know how hard that can be. My ds was diagnosed with kidney reflux at 2 wks of age, and has had 2 UTIs in his 7 months of life. He has to be on daily antibiotics.

Last edited by stephcrouse; 07-05-2009 at 08:39 PM.
stephcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
mama0609
Banned
seller

When DD had a small bought of yeast, I used 100 drops of GSE in the pre-wash. Seemed to work fine... Oh and sun for the bum!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Thanks guys! I'll try the vinegar and sunning. And, we might have some diaper free time outside tomorrow!

Steph: the UTI's suck. He's had a VCUG already and he doesn't have the reflux. But an ultrasound showed fluid in his kidneys, mild. I'm hoping the urologist will want to do more tests (although my poor boy has been through enough) to see what's going on!

(His first UTI was at 1 week old, and he was admitted for 6 days at 12 days old. I'm EBF him so i was there as well...LONG 6 days!)
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used 1/4 cup bleach in the cold prewash, but GSE also kills yeast from what I have read. We always use liners in our diapers and I think that is a great idea. The one episode we had of it I stripped every single thing in our stash in a cold prewash w/ bleach and then washed in dawn and rinsed until no bubbles. After that I only used pf and flats so I could bleach every wash and not have to worry about the wear and tear on the diapers. I did this for an entire week after the yeast rash looked like it was gone. Not a big deal as I washed anyway but just put 1/4c. bleach in the prewash and followed up w/ our detergent.
Good luck and I hope your LO bum gets better.