Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
tyramae1
Registered Users

My Mood:
Whole Grain Bread Making Question

I have a grain mill and have been making whole grain pancakes, muffins, cookies, etc... Those types of recipes I have no problem making. Yeast breads are a problem, though. Either it won't rise enough or it rises like it's supposed to and falls. Anyone have any tips?? I would love to be able to make all our bread for sandwiches, toast, etc... Also, I have a problem with biscuits. I have made them twice, and they turn out heavy, small, and tough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisement

Tyra, wife to Steven
Mommy to Mae , Abby , Grace ,and Baby girl due August 2010
tyramae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
tyramae1
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Whole Grain Bread Making Question

Tyra, wife to Steven
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I got the Tassajara Bread Book. I got the bread right the first time. It has great instructions for a basic wheat bread. Also recipes for rye/oatmeal, and all kinds of other breads. It has a whole yeast bread section and an unyeasted section. Check out this post: .soulemama.com/soulemama/in_the_kitchen/ Scroll down until you see the bread!!

Thats what sold me on bread making!! I used unbleached organic white flour to make the white egg bread and my family of 4 has eaten a whole loaf in two days....thats big for us our bread almost always use to go bad before we used it up.
hezdwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is the recipe I use. It makes wonderful bread that is soft and sliceable for sandwiches (without lg. holes or crumbling).

EZ Wheat Bread recipe

1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tblsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup sugar
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp nonfat dry milk
1 Tblsp butter
1 Tblsp vinegar
1/4 cup potato flakes

Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like kitchen-aid) for 12-15 minutes. Let rise until double, 1- 1 1/2 hours. Punch down, and shape into loaf or rolls. Let rise again until double and bake 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
tyramae1
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much!!!

Tyra, wife to Steven
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
amberu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is the one I use..you can't go wrong with this one..very easy! One thing to remember if you freeze your flour ( I make big batches and freeze from my mill) is to let it warm up..also make sure your water is hot enough. For the biscuits I use only soft white wheat..it makes them very fluffy!!

Testimonial:

"I have been making bread for years. Yesterday I wanted to find a recipe to use with my Montana White Wheat, and I found your website. My husband and five children could not believe how excellent your recipe turned out! It is the whole wheat miracle I have always searched for. Thank you so very much for sharing." Sincerely, Kirsten Farmer

Hand Method: (yields 2 loaves)

1/3 C honey
1/3 C oil
2 1/2 C Warm Water
1 1/2 TB Saf Instant Yeast
2 1/2 tsp Real Salt
6-7 C Fresh whole wheat flour
1 1/2 TB Dough Enhancer

Large Mixer Method: (yields 5-6 loaves)

2/3 C honey
2/3 C oil
6 C warm water
3 TB Saf Instant Yeast
1 1/2 - 2 TB Real Salt
16-20 C fresh whole wheat flour
3 TB Dough Enhancer

1/3-1/2 Cup Vital Gluten

Zojirushi Bakery Supreme (Auto Baker Method)

2 TB honey
2 TB oil
1 1/2 C water (90 - 100F)
1 1/2 tsp Real Salt
3 1/2 C fresh whole wheat flour
2 tsp Dough Enhancer
3 TB Vital Gluten
1 1/2 tsp Saf Instant Yeast

Combine the warm water, yeast, and 2 Cups of fresh whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sponge for 15 minutes. Add the honey, oil, dough enhancer, salt and 4-5 C (12-16 C if using the Mix N Blend or (Bosch) additional flour until the dough begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. Do not allow the dough to get too stiff (too dry). Dough should be smooth and elastic. It is a common mistake for the beginning bakers to add too much flour.

Knead the bread by hand 7-10 minutes or until it is very smooth, elastic, and small bubbles or blisters appear beneath the surface of the dough. Six to ten minutes of kneading by electric mixer (Use speed 1 on the Bosch Universal, and use speed 4 on the Mix n Blend - or use the Auto-Knead function) should be sufficient to develop the gluten if you are using fresh flour. If you are kneading by hand, be sure to add the minimum amount of flour to keep the dough soft and pliable by using a tsp of oil on your hands and kneading surface.

Form the dough into 2 loaves if using the hand method or 5-6 loaves if using the Mix N Blend or Bosch Universal, method. Place the dough into greased loaf pans. Allow to rise in a slightly warmed oven or other warm place until doubled in size (about 30-60 minutes).

Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bread is cooked through when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, and when the top and sides are a golden brown color.
Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Marilyn's Famous Bread Recipe is VERSATILE! Use it to make cinnamon rolls, pizza, bread sticks, and more. Click this link for Whole Wheat Bread Dough Variations.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
tyramae1
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberu View Post
This is the one I use..you can't go wrong with this one..very easy! One thing to remember if you freeze your flour ( I make big batches and freeze from my mill) is to let it warm up..also make sure your water is hot enough. For the biscuits I use only soft white wheat..it makes them very fluffy!!

Testimonial:

"I have been making bread for years. Yesterday I wanted to find a recipe to use with my Montana White Wheat, and I found your website. My husband and five children could not believe how excellent your recipe turned out! It is the whole wheat miracle I have always searched for. Thank you so very much for sharing." Sincerely, Kirsten Farmer

Hand Method: (yields 2 loaves)

1/3 C honey
1/3 C oil
2 1/2 C Warm Water
1 1/2 TB Saf Instant Yeast
2 1/2 tsp Real Salt
6-7 C Fresh whole wheat flour
1 1/2 TB Dough Enhancer

Large Mixer Method: (yields 5-6 loaves)

2/3 C honey
2/3 C oil
6 C warm water
3 TB Saf Instant Yeast
1 1/2 - 2 TB Real Salt
16-20 C fresh whole wheat flour
3 TB Dough Enhancer

1/3-1/2 Cup Vital Gluten

Zojirushi Bakery Supreme (Auto Baker Method)

2 TB honey
2 TB oil
1 1/2 C water (90 - 100F)
1 1/2 tsp Real Salt
3 1/2 C fresh whole wheat flour
2 tsp Dough Enhancer
3 TB Vital Gluten
1 1/2 tsp Saf Instant Yeast

Combine the warm water, yeast, and 2 Cups of fresh whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sponge for 15 minutes. Add the honey, oil, dough enhancer, salt and 4-5 C (12-16 C if using the Mix N Blend or (Bosch) additional flour until the dough begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. Do not allow the dough to get too stiff (too dry). Dough should be smooth and elastic. It is a common mistake for the beginning bakers to add too much flour.

Knead the bread by hand 7-10 minutes or until it is very smooth, elastic, and small bubbles or blisters appear beneath the surface of the dough. Six to ten minutes of kneading by electric mixer (Use speed 1 on the Bosch Universal, and use speed 4 on the Mix n Blend - or use the Auto-Knead function) should be sufficient to develop the gluten if you are using fresh flour. If you are kneading by hand, be sure to add the minimum amount of flour to keep the dough soft and pliable by using a tsp of oil on your hands and kneading surface.

Form the dough into 2 loaves if using the hand method or 5-6 loaves if using the Mix N Blend or Bosch Universal, method. Place the dough into greased loaf pans. Allow to rise in a slightly warmed oven or other warm place until doubled in size (about 30-60 minutes).

Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bread is cooked through when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, and when the top and sides are a golden brown color.
Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Marilyn's Famous Bread Recipe is VERSATILE! Use it to make cinnamon rolls, pizza, bread sticks, and more. Click this link for Whole Wheat Bread Dough Variations.

Thanks so much!!! How do you make your biscuits? Do you have a recipe? I have made them once before, and they didn't turn out so well. They were small and tough.

Tyra, wife to Steven
Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

Whole wheat flour is a lot heavier & grittier than white flour. The heaviness means that there is a lot of gravity working against the yeast. The grittiness (not something you can taste) comes from the bran. It's sharp. This has a tendency to 'pop' the carbon dioxide bubbles that the yeast produces (which is how bread 'rises'). Those two combined make it hard for whole wheat bread to rise like white flour.

Also, wheat comes in two major types: Hard & Soft. Hard has much more gluten in it, which makes it better for bread, spaghetti, etc. Soft has less gluten and is better for cakes, biscuits, etc, where you don't really want chewy. For biscuits, try mixing half hard & half Soft or even going all soft if using a drop biscuit made with baking powder.

To combat for whole wheat challenges, you can add a few dough conditioners, like gluten. Here's an excellent video on making whole wheat bread using easy to find, natural dough enhancers:

Making your bread close to store bread in squishiness (Pretty much Ducko's recipe):
Part 1:
Part 2:

Ami