Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Knock-knees and corrective measures-with pics

My little 2yo DD obviously has knock-knees. It runs in the family and Grandma has had a lot of back and foot issues due to hers. She says that she wishes she had had the opportunity for corrective measures while she was young. My sister also has the same issue, although not as severe, but she also thinks it would have been nice to have had them fixed when she was little.
I forgot to ask her pedi about it at her 2yo well baby check.
I am debating whether or not to make an appointment specifically for this or just wait until I take her in for something else. She's pretty healthy though. We haven't seen the doctor for illness since February I think.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW Here are the pictures that brought the issue back to my attention again. I was taking pictures of her in an outfit Grandma made to send her.

Yeah. That's candy in her hand. I bribed her for the photoshoot.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Knock-knees and corrective measures-with pics

OMG!! She is ttttttooooooooooo stinking cute! Love the outfit too

I dont know anything about knock knees but it may be worth it(if only for piece of mind) to have the ped look at her sooner rather then later.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's adorable! My dd has knock knees, her's are caused by flexible flat feet. She is 4 1/2 years old and has been wearing special orthotic inserts in her shoes since December. We have had signs that there was something wrong since she was born, at birth the tops of her feet were practically touching her shins. The ped talked about casting, but we were able to get them to come down with excercises. After that she hit all her milestones at the right times. She began walking at 11 monthes and thats when I started to notice more problems. She couldn't take more that 3 or 4 steps without falling down until about 15 monthes. I began taking her to a chiro and getting her hip adjusted and it helped tremendously. As she got older it did improve somewhat, but we still had problems. She couldn't walk as far as my older dd had at the same age, she would fall down crying saying she was just to tired to walk. My chiro thought that her knock knees and hip problems all stemmed from her flat-footedness, and thought that if we didn't do something about it, she would also have back problems in the future. We got her into an othropedic dr and he confirmed it. She really likes her inserts and says that her legs don't hurt when we walk anymore (she never told me that they hurt before!). BTW, flat footedness runs in my dh's family too, his aunt just had her second knee replacement and his dad has ankle and back problems from it. I don't know if your dd's problems are orthotic, but I think it would be worth checking into so she doesn't have any problems in the future.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dont know about the knees, but I agree to go take her in if you are worried. But I wanted to tell you your dd is so stinkin' cute!
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

2 of my kids are knock kneed. I asked the ped when my dd was 2 if she needed it corrected, he said no, that they usually dont intervene until they are over 4. Of course when she was 4 he said that it wasn't too bad. Well, now she is 12, is pigeon toed, knock kneed and one leg is shorter than the other. We decided though that it doesn't bother her at this point and wont have it fixed for cosmetic reasons, only if she starts to have pain. So far so good.

It cannot hurt to ask your pediatrician about it. They will refer you to an ortho.

What an adorable DD you have BTW!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son is 5 and knock kneed. he also has partial collapsed arches. we are going to talk to his ped about again. hope all works out! i'd rather fix it before the pain and problems start and while he is still young. good luck mama!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the feedback. Based on what I'm readung here and elsewhere, it looks like they would most likely want to wait until she's 5 to start any real treatment as often it resolves itself. Unfortunately she has genetics stacked against her.
I really appreciate you ladies!