Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler refuses to eat meals?

There is nothing wrong with her, she's not sick, she just decides she doesn't 'like' what's on offer (even though it's perfectly tasty and she's had it before) and will repetitively ask for something else like a banana. I am sort of torn between just making sure she gets something down, but on the other hand i feel like she has to learn to eat what is in front of her, I don't want a fussy eater! Should I give in and just give her the banana when she asks for it and hope we do better the next day? Or should I just not give her anything else, so that she figures out if she is hungry she has to eat the food... I wouldn't do that if I didn't feel she had some decent nutrition that day already, I of course don't want to starve her. But i feel like she shouldn't be filling up on fruit etc when she needs to eats a proper meal, and that eating a variety of foods is a learned behaviour. I don't know what to do!

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Toddler refuses to eat meals?

My DD does this too... sometimes you have to pick your battles. If she is eating fairly nutritionally and balanced during the day, I don't see a problem with it. Toddlers are experimenting with hunger and what foods they like right?

There are days where lunch consists of a banana and a yogurt.. ya we'd like to eat more, but you can't force feed them right? It's not like they're filling up on candy and not eating because of that... so no biggie?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Depends on how stubborn I am that day. Ussually it's lunch we have issues with. I tell her that she doesn't have to eat it but that's the food we have right now. She'll meltdown and go down for nap. After nap she's starving and has no problems eating the same meal which I set before her. If you're just too worn out, let it slide that day. but NEVER ASK if that's what she wants to eat unless you are willing to fix something else. i Just tell her that's what's to eat.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
lotsuvlittles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lunch is the only meal around here that I'll ask the kids what they want. A lot of the time the older kids make their own lunch from leftovers or sandwiches and I'll make whatever sounds good to the toddlers. Breakfast and dinner you eat what's served or you don't eat til the next mealtime.

Back online and getting caught up. Thanks for your patience.
lotsuvlittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh good! I thought maybe I was being mean to not give her any dinner... but i know she ate a good lunch and other snacks throughout the day- so tonight I just said 'No, there's no banana, you eat your dinner if you're hungry or nothing'. I am just getting sick of it, normally she is quite good with most meals but I want to make sure she at least eats one decent meal per day. She cried for a bit when there was no banana on offer (or anything else!) but she has gone to bed without a fuss, and I am just hoping she will learn to eat what she's given. Maybe she just really wasn't that hungry.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS would eat fruit all the time, if I let him. For times when he only wants an apple for dinner, I tell him that he has to eat some of his dinner first and then he can have an apple. Sometimes he'll eat a bit more, and sometimes not, but I try to be consistent with how I treat the issue. On occasion, after he has his apple, he'll go back and finish off the food on his plate. I think it's just stages they go through.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

We been doing that whole eat or dont eat thing here too. Sometimes she goes to bed hungry other times she eats. Not working out really well though. She always says she has a tummy ache at dinner time. She just dont want to eat whats on plate.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally give in and make the kids what ever. I am horrible and i know but i jsut want there tummys happy and full. So if they dont eat the dinner plate i make them i will find them somthing else to eat.
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote