Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
lots2learn
Registered Users
seller

how does a BG work?

Okay, forgive me, but I have only ever used Fuzzi Bunz. So, how does a diaper like bumGenius work? I just don't understand how one diaper can fit all of those different sizes. And does it use snaps? Aplix? I just am confused - help a mama out please.

Advertisement

lots2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how does a BG work?

To my knowledge, a bumGenius diaper is the only one size diaper out there with both snaps and aplix (velcro.) The aplix is to fasten the diaper on the baby, the snaps are to adjust the rise.

http://<a href="http://i13.photobuck...sizes-.jpg</a>

There are three snap settings for the rise. The lowest setting, (snapping to the first row) is small and probably for a newborn or small baby. I'm guessing the extra small, they folded down the top of the diaper, maybe to make room for an umbilical cord. The next setting (snapping to the second row) is medium, and if you leave the diaper unsnapped, that is large. That is the setting my DD uses.

Although there are other one size diapers on the market, what I love about bGs are the strechy sides. It makes for such a custom fit, similar to sposies. Also they seem to fit longer or for larger babies. Wonderoos are said to fit up to 35lbs or so, but my DD was out of them at 20 lbs. bG's still fit her (she's 26 lbs) with room to grow. But I will also be able to use them for the next baby without buying several sizes.

Also, the fabric for bG's is thinner (IMHO) than the PUL used for Wonderoos, so even on the smallest setting, they are still very trim.

I really could go on and on, but that is the jist of it.

Last edited by marvelous; 06-01-2006 at 08:57 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, I haven't figured out how to use the one size insert for the medium setting. Maybe someone could help me. I see how it snaps down for the small setting - great! Its the perfect length for the large setting -great! okay then.. how does it work for the medium? If I put it in unsnapped, its a little too long, so it either bulks, or folds in the back where I would think it would bother him. I just have themall in a drawer and i'm saving themfor when he's in the large setting. (although, when snapped in the small setting, the insert is a perfect fit for my size M happy Hempy
Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

You just put the folded part in the front I put in so that the fold is about even with the aplix. It's silly to leave the folded part in the back... if you leave it up front you have extra absorbancy where it's really needed. There will be about 3" or so without any insert in the back.. which hasn't caused any problems for us yet

Also, FWIW, I think wonderoos are made to fit skinny kids... either that or they just got super stingy with the elastic to save money, because it's WAY too tight. When DD was little, like 11 or 12lbs, we tried them, and even onthe highest rise setting the elastic left deep red marks on her legs... it was THAT tight! Just not a very good design, IMO... almost put me off on the idea of OS pockets entirely!

Last edited by EasterBun; 06-01-2006 at 08:56 PM.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sitting here trying it and I don't know!!

The funny thing is, I did get the inserts in at one time because my DD was on the medium snap setting for just awhile before unsnapping it completey.

I think I kinda overstuffed toward the front, it that makes any sense. The insert pushed the inner fabric over the top of the front of the diaper, but then when I got it on her and it streched out, it was fine. Does that make sense?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
Termie
Registered Users
seller

Anyone know what snaps CBs use? I wondered if you could add a snap socket 1/2way between the two on it. Wouldn't that allow you to snap it down longer?? Just brainstorming.
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

They look like regular sz20 KAM snaps to me...
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote