Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Advice on a couple of things.

We had the girls at their neonatal follow-up appointment. As usual Kyrra is in the low normal range meaning she is slightly delayed. The neonatologist says she has low muscle tone and possibly lax ligaments or double jointed. He wasn't too concerned about it and I really am not either. She is trying to walk and we help her out as much as she wants. The public health nurse suggested that we call the physio and ask about exercises for her to build up her strength. It seem silly to have an 18 month old do exercises. Does any one have experience with this? Has anyone used and OT or PT for their kids?

Also my girls don't talk yet. They don't say a single word. Their neo figures they don't need to talk since they talk with each other and can get their point across non verbally. Again the public health nurse is concerned and is making them appointments with the speech patholigist. I told her the neo wasn't concerned but she said that most kids who don't talk at 18 months will have speech problems later on. DS didn't talk until 20-22 months and now doesn't quit and is advanced in his speech. Any thoughts on this?

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
supermomelisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice on a couple of things.

Well Mama, I can tell you what I would do, as a mommy, and a nurse with ped. experience. First of all, the talking is really not a huge issue. The neo is right, mulitples tend to have thier own communication, especially when young, and they will verbalize as they grow. My 3rd child, now 14 months, says maybe 3 words, because she has a whole family that pretty much know what she needs/wants without her verbalizing it, kwim? SO really, a speech pathologist is a bit much at this point, imho. If, in a year or so, they aren't communicating verbally much, it might be a good idea to have it checked, but not a stress for you now.
And as far as seeing a phys. therapist, I think it would be a good idea to go ahead with that one. Mostly because your little one will get to play and learn, and build up muscle tissue at the same time. I would do this appt, at least to talk to a phys. therapist and get some ideas on what you can do at home to help normal development.
Sure HTH!
Elisa
Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you considered taking your girls to a chiropractor who is very familiar with practicing with infants/young children. It is a very good place to start and very non-invasive. Chiropractic care treats the whole child and nervous system. It is also very gentle, no "popping" or anything like that.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy View Post
Have you considered taking your girls to a chiropractor who is very familiar with practicing with infants/young children. It is a very good place to start and very non-invasive. Chiropractic care treats the whole child and nervous system. It is also very gentle, no "popping" or anything like that.
The girls were just at the chiropractor on Tuesday. They don't go as much as DS did when he was a baby but I really believe in chiropractic for kids.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't look as going for speech as a negative or "overkill" right now. My ds started recently, and it has been very postive experience.

I would encourage signing, too, in order to help them to communicate their needs and wants better. They may start getting frustrated soon. Plus, signing helps to reinforce speech.

So much development occurs early. When they get behind, they tend to stay behind. The parent of the kids I watch is a speech pathologist. There's tons of studies about earlier assistance really making a long term difference in the child's life.

You said your girls don't speak one word. But do they babble or have little singing/vocal combinations that kind of sound like a pretend coversation? That's what all the speech and social workers asked me.

It wouldn't hurt to check it out!
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 preemies and I did PT for my oldest, I have not had to bring in my youngest yet...I think my appt is next month. But anyhow, it really pays off. When they say exercises it is probably not the kind of exercises that you are thinking of. It will really pay off in the end and it is healthy for her. It will allow her to operate at her fullest potential. Sometimes it is as easy as bicycling her legs in a certain fashion or playing in certain ways to get their tone up and it will give you all a time of physical activity that is a bonding experiance....
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

They "talk" all the time. They carry on little converstations with each other and others. They also seem to understand when you talk to them and will follow directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolly View Post
I wouldn't look as going for speech as a negative or "overkill" right now. My ds started recently, and it has been very postive experience.

I would encourage signing, too, in order to help them to communicate their needs and wants better. They may start getting frustrated soon. Plus, signing helps to reinforce speech.

So much development occurs early. When they get behind, they tend to stay behind. The parent of the kids I watch is a speech pathologist. There's tons of studies about earlier assistance really making a long term difference in the child's life.

You said your girls don't speak one word. But do they babble or have little singing/vocal combinations that kind of sound like a pretend coversation? That's what all the speech and social workers asked me.

It wouldn't hurt to check it out!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I guess the thing I am most concerned about is that I am not sure if the PTs here are specialized. I may call them and look into it. I might also stop by my old workplace and talk with the PTs and OTs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
I have 2 preemies and I did PT for my oldest, I have not had to bring in my youngest yet...I think my appt is next month. But anyhow, it really pays off. When they say exercises it is probably not the kind of exercises that you are thinking of. It will really pay off in the end and it is healthy for her. It will allow her to operate at her fullest potential. Sometimes it is as easy as bicycling her legs in a certain fashion or playing in certain ways to get their tone up and it will give you all a time of physical activity that is a bonding experiance....
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I called the PT office in town and I need a doctors referral to get her in to see someone. I don't have a doctor here in town since they are all quacks so I won't be going the PT route. Her neonatologist wants to see her for a follow up in June. As for the speech pathologist it will take 6 weeks but I'll keep that appointment.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_3g_1b View Post
They "talk" all the time. They carry on little converstations with each other and others. They also seem to understand when you talk to them and will follow directions.
I'm sure they are fine then! I wouldn't worry about the speech yet. Just keep watching. If you keep the appointment, it will help you to know what to watch for as the stages progress. I think you are doing a great job mama!
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote