Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can a FF baby remain EFF until a year??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz View Post
There has to be something else going on with that baby.

My son was almost EFF for a year. He ate solids but they made up very little of his caloric intake. Towards the end of the year I started adding an extra scoop of powder to the mix. He is healthy and growing well.'

What is the doctor saying about all this? I would be really concerned.
She hasn't taken him to the dr since he was 9 months old and at that point he was gaining. He's 10 months old and losing weight again, she had an appt for him last week but didnt make it, so she is just waiting until his 12 month well baby.

At 9 months old my dd started losing weight and I gave her higher fat foods and that seemed to pick her up great. So I'm just curious to see if that would help him out a bit too. ALSO he's very easily constipated, so I don't think that adding an extra scoop of formula would be the right route for him.

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

PLEASE don't add a scoop of formula or water down formula. It can cause MAJOR problems for a baby's kidneys and liver. This is from babycenter:
Since mixing instructions vary by manufacturer, and the water-to-formula ratio depends on whether the formula is powder or liquid, read the label carefully. Adding too little water can tax your baby's kidneys and cause dehydration, while adding too much water will deprive your baby of the calories and nutrients he needs, which can cause stunted growth and failure to thrive. For better accuracy, you may want to use a standard measuring cup instead of the lines on your baby's bottle.
This is from www.liveandlearn.com:
Whatever form is chosen, proper preparation and refrigeration are essential. Opened cans of ready-to-feed and liquid concentrate must be refrigerated and used within the time specified on the can. Once the powder is mixed with water, it should also be refrigerated if it is not used right away. The exact amounts of water recommended on the label must be used. Under-diluted formula(adding more scoops than recommended) can cause problems for the infant's organs and digestive system. Over-diluted formula will not provide adequate nutrition, and the baby may fail to thrive and grow.

Anyway, OP, I think there may be something else going on. She needs to get him to the pedi ASAP. I would not recommend that she wait until he is 12 months. It could be something serious.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Stefany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They can remain EFF BUT they have to drink a LOT of formula to keep up their needed calories.

That is just sad to me. Poor kiddo.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, there can be other issues aside from what/how much she is feeding him. There could be allergies or other health issues (yes, a baby can start out on regular formula fine and then develop an allergy to it). She really needs to get him to the doctor as soon as she can.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I wonder if she could put him on something like Neosure, which is a higher calorie formula used for premies and babies who might need it. Especially if she doesnt"feel" like making baby food..

Honestly when DS turned around 5 months and was ready to have a little baby food in addition to his formula, I started with Gerber, then got to thinking about making my own, and havent looked back since. I honestly feel its easier than buying and DEFINATELY CHEAPER. If your concerned with cost, I think for about a months worth of Sweet potatoes,Green beans, applesauce,banana's,pumpkin,squash is around 20.00 and thats really with more to spare when its time to make more... maybe you could work something out with her in your babysitting fees... and maybe we as a whole community could PP you the difference a few cents each and help him gain some weight..?? I know we all hate to hear of things like this.
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I was just doing some research tonight and wanted to let you all know that he is following the classic signs of type 1 diabetes.

When I babysit him, I change his dipe (sposie or cloth) at least once every 30-mins -1 hour...I thought maybe he was a heavy wetter because he is eff. And he is losing weigh, and he's always thirsty (which I presumed was the eff again)

I called her up and suggested this idea to her and printed up some info and ran it over to her house.

She called her ped and he's going to be tested next wednesday along with an appt to see if there is anything obvious going on.

I wanna know why they didn't test this earlier, every ped asks "how many times does your child urinate a day" you think when she would have answered "uhhh like 30 times" they would have picked something up along w/his other signs!

I'll keep you all updated on it!!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #17
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

I'm glad she's taking him in. I hope everything will work out.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #18
DayDreaminMama
Banned
seller

well classic signs of diabetes right there i wonder when a mother doesn't start to question things herself about her child's health..?

also i believe if a child reaches for and shows an interests in food then they are ready to try out solids..i let all of my children tell me when they were ready to start solids
DayDreaminMama is offline   Reply With Quote