Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
nikkiemom2emmy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Distracted baby or nursing strike?

Today my DD has been incredibly distracted when trying to nurse. I took her in a dark quit room and she wiggles and latches, 2 sucks, pops off wiggles. Is she just distracted or is this a nursing strike? Do I offer a bottle of breast milk to make sure she eats or just wait it out she will nurse when she gets really hungry. I would rather wait it out I would hate for her to get used to getting a bottle instead of nursing. I am pumping today because of this (after I try nursing) and instead of getting 1oz I'm getting 4oz. Now I've also been pumping more and seriously increasing my water intake so I'm not sure if DD just isn't getting much or if all my water drinking is paying off or both. Sorry this turned into a book Any advise??

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Distracted baby or nursing strike?

She's 6mo? That's about when DS's distractions started... It got BAD for a few weeks. It's still kind of bad... but not nearly as bad as when it started. I would have to lay down in bed and restrain him to get him to nurse... once he got started and let-down was complete, he would settle in and actually nurse.

Also, he started waking more at night to nurse during this period... And I've JUST now gotten him to switch back (from night-nursing to day-nursing). He's 8mo now...

SO, keep pumping (that's what I did) and keep trying to get her to nurse at least every 4hrs (even if it's only like 5min at a time). But she will get hungry and want to eat.

Oh, and I also pretty much cut solids out during this period so that I knew he was getting the breastmilk and not trying to replace it. He didn't start eating solids regularly until the last 3wks... but he's a big, healthy boy, so no harm done!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
nikkiemom2emmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

She isn't eating any solids yet. She had a bad reaction and the pedi told me to hold off til 9 months so she isn't getting any other food.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's good. She's just going through a stage. Keep offering the breast and she'll eat when she's hungry... or she may wake more at night. But keep pumping to hold your supply steady. You WILL get through this!

Oh, and the dark room and soft music is a good idea. We spent 2 months (felt like all day) in the nursery's room glider... But we got through it.

Oh, and steady naps really helped make his nursing sessions more consistent! Good luck!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
nikkiemom2emmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks She already nurses many times during the night, so much for sleep, lol!! She did nurse a lot yesterday and last night so maybe she isn't as hungry today. Time will tell. Thanks for the encouragment!! I love our nursing relationship and really hope it lasts for years.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love our nursing relationship too. And the sleep thing will eventually work itself out. She'll let you know when she's hungry.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't worry I would just offer the breast. ALOT. I nurse my DS's whenever they wanted especially during that stage. i ALSO found lying down worked big time. They would be closed off from viewing alot and only able to hear from one ear. Its WILL last a year- just remain dedicated! You are obviously a great mama! WTG!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
howboutwog
Registered Users

Yay! I'm glad to hear someone else is experiencing this. My DS has started doing this some and he's 4 months. He wiggles, looks around, and then pops off. He's also started kicking and moving his arms when I nurse him to sleep at night although he usually doesn't pop off then.
howboutwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutwog View Post
Yay! I'm glad to hear someone else is experiencing this. My DS has started doing this some and he's 4 months. He wiggles, looks around, and then pops off. He's also started kicking and moving his arms when I nurse him to sleep at night although he usually doesn't pop off then.
Just wait until he starts crawling all over you while trying to nurse... DH says that when I put the girls back up (close the bra)... Colin gets that "I knew I just set my drink around here someplace..." look... It's SO much fun at this stage... but it's a lot of work!