Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"chlorine free," help me out here

I am so confused. We have been using Seventh Gen when disposables are needed but they do not work so well on containing dd's ebf poo (like, at all). I was looking at Huggies' new "Pure & Natural" line and shot them off a question about the bleaching process. So the response I get includes this info:

"Kimberly-Clark does not use elemental chlorine to bleach fiber at either of the Corporation's two pulp mills. At our pulp mill in Everett, Washington, the company bleaches its sulfite pulp with 100 percent chlorine dioxide, a process known as elemental chlorine free. At our pulp mill in Millicent, South Australia, we also developed a 100 percent hydrogen peroxide bleaching system which uses no chlorine or chlorine compounds for the unique wood species and process used by this mill. In addition, Kimberly-Clark only sources elemental chlorine-free or totally chlorine-free pulps from our vendors to make all of our tissue products."

OKAY. So what does "elemental chlorine free" mean? 'Cause it says chlorine dioxide.

The Wiki says this:

"Elemental chlorine free (ECF) is a technique that uses chlorine dioxide for the bleaching of wood pulp. It does not use elemental chlorine gas during the bleaching process and prevents the formation of dioxin, a carcinogen."

Is that right? It doesn't produce dioxins?

Advertisement

Last edited by kaymurr; 07-14-2009 at 04:54 PM.
kaymurr is offline   Reply With Quote