Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #11
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Abdominal Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post
I agree w/ another poster in saying its a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. That almost always causes green poop and gassiness. Nursing for 5 min. does not allow enough time for the thinner milk to come down. If he's just getting the thicker milk, it may be causing tummy problems.

Normally reflux subsides by 6 mos, and he's already 8 mos? Try nursing him longer and more frequently. I bet this will help alot.
Just want to add that even after we got our FM/HM imbalance taken care of dd still only nursed for 5 minutes at a time. She was a no fuss nurser. Until she got over a year and now she enjoys her 20 min+ sessions.

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post
I agree w/ another poster in saying its a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. That almost always causes green poop and gassiness. Nursing for 5 min. does not allow enough time for the thinner milk to come down. If he's just getting the thicker milk, it may be causing tummy problems.

Normally reflux subsides by 6 mos, and he's already 8 mos? Try nursing him longer and more frequently. I bet this will help alot.
I'm not sure how I'd get him to nurse longer. When he's done, he's done, even if there's no distractions. Any ideas? He is a very efficient nurser, at least. I also cue feed, so he does usually nurse fairly frequently - anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

From what I've read and been told, I think reflux subsides anytime between 6-12 months.
katmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
I would suggest switching reflux meds. Zantac does not stop the acid production, just makes it a little more tolerable! Personally I think it is CRAP!

Also has his dosage been changed lately? If not it might need to be adjusted because he is growing!

I have had 3 kids with reflux now and I would definitely say it still sounds like reflux. I think the Zantac is not working for your ds and that you should look into other medications. We have been through quite a few meds with each of my kids.

If you have any questions please pm me!
We increased his dosage about a month ago when I started seeing more fussiness during the day. It hasn't seemed to improve things. Initially, in the first few months, the Zantac seemed to make great improvements for him. Do you think it could stop working?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Some babies are just short nurser's without any problems getting the fattier milk.

What you can do is nurse 2 sessions on the same side, try feeding more often(if he will), express some of the foremilk out before nursing him so he gets more of the hindmilk.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd (now 5 yrs old) would only nurse for 5 minutes at a time and we switched sides every feeding and she never had a problem with it.

Your post about your ds describes my 4-month-old ds exactly!!! He has silent reflux AND allergic colitis. One of my other sons had allergic colitis too, and even super strict elimination dieting did not help him, so I eventually put him on Neocate formula which did wonders. I'm trying to not have to do that this time though. We tried Zantac for a while but it didn't help since it's not just the reflux going on here.

The good news about allergic colitis is- (at least in our case)- it's a physiological response, not an immune response. So, as the baby's system matures they should grow out of the senstivity. In ds1 case, he was totally better by 1 year old. At that point we took him off of the formula and started cow's milk and all table foods and he never had a single problem (no diarrhea, no tummy aches, etc). That's one reason why I'm trying to stick with nursing ds3 since I know he'll probably outgrow this. In the meantime, yes, he cries a lot. He grunts and moans like you are describing. His poops are horrible-looking (and smelling!). I'm on day 19 of a diet eliminating the most common problem foods but so far it has not helped, so I might go back to eating normally after a month is up.

2 of my 4 children have NOT had these problems, so I don't really think my problem is a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. And I don't think we are dealing with a "true" allergy, since ds1 outgrew everything just fine and there's a lack of other symptoms.

Good luck figuring things out. Sometimes it just takes time! I know it's really hard; I'm going through it myself, but it does get better.
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never heard of allergic colitis. So basically, it is a sensitivity to multiple foods? I REALLY don't want to stop nursing and I'm concerned about formula because he can't be on the milk formula and I do not want him on soy with what I've read concerning boys and soy. Did you notice a difference when your ds started solids? Jonas only eats carrots, bananas, sweet potatoes and avocados right now, and he doesn't eat much, but I wonder if the introduction of solids could be having a bad affect?

My ped. called today and I'm taking him in at 4 - I sure hope he has some ideas.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know you are emliminating dairy, but more than half of babies that are sensitive to dairy are also senstive to soy. Have you tried eliminating that? I would go there before gluten.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menfusse View Post
I know you are emliminating dairy, but more than half of babies that are sensitive to dairy are also senstive to soy. Have you tried eliminating that? I would go there before gluten.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I don't really eat soy - I use almond milk for cereal and stuff, but I'm sure I do eat soy in packaged products. I will have to start watching labels for that.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #19
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmarie View Post
I've never heard of allergic colitis. So basically, it is a sensitivity to multiple foods? I REALLY don't want to stop nursing and I'm concerned about formula because he can't be on the milk formula and I do not want him on soy with what I've read concerning boys and soy. Did you notice a difference when your ds started solids? Jonas only eats carrots, bananas, sweet potatoes and avocados right now, and he doesn't eat much, but I wonder if the introduction of solids could be having a bad affect?

My ped. called today and I'm taking him in at 4 - I sure hope he has some ideas.
Yeah, I guess it's a sensitivity to multiple foods. Because I sure was never able to figure out what was bothering ds1, even with a total elimination diet. Right now I'm doing a diet for ds3, not a TED but still pretty strict. And today is day 19 and it's been a horrible day; he's been so upset and has pooped at least 6 or 7 times and it's so gross. Which leads me to believe that either he's being bothered by one of the few things I AM eating, OR it's just a generalized thing and there's nothing I can do about it. Who knows. Knowing that ds1 outgrew this by age 1, I really think this time I'd like to stick with the nursing and not go to formula if I can help it. Especially since our trial on Alimentum didn't help him. ds1 did pretty well on solids though he didn't eat much either. Once he turned one and we cut out the formula he started eating more. My main concern was that I wouldn't be able to recognize a reaction to a food since he was already having diarrhea anyway. So, when he was 7 months old and we put him on Neocate we actually stopped solids for 2 weeks so he'd get all healed up, then started from scratch again adding one solid at a time for a while. We waited till he was 1 to try dairy. We waited till 9 months to try wheat. He never had a problem with anything. It's all very confusing to deal with. Sometimes I think maybe I should have kept nursing since he outgrew it anyway. But maybe he needed a break from the breastmilk to get healed up so he COULD outgrow it. Please let us know what your ped says because I'm always looking for ideas and theories on how to help ds! Our 4 month well check got moved a week due to "scheduling changes" so it'll be the 12th before I can discuss ds3 with the ped again.

Definitely stay away from soy formula. We tried it on ds1 and he had mucusy bloody poops and was so upset. As for your own diet, soy is everywhere. It's hard to avoid; you do need to read labels.

I started off avoiding dairy, then added soy and eggs. Now I'm avoiding dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, corn, nuts, seafood, beef, pork, tomatoes, citrus, berries, caffeine and chocolate. 19 days with no improvement (has even gotten worse the last few days) tells me I might as well eat somewhat normally and pray he outgrows this soon!
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote