Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need help: On crutches with 5m old

I dislocated my knee yesterday (oww) and am now on crutches with a full knee brace. DH is trying his best to help, but he's in the Navy and has to go to work. My playgroup is also trying to help, but there are stretches for 3-4 hours when I'm going to be alone, and possibly a few overnights. There is also a chance that DH will be leaving completely for a few weeks, so I'll really be on my own then.

How do I do this? I obviously can't carry her because I'm on crutches. I've thought about back carries with a MT, pulling her along in a laundry basket, or some other thing like that. The other problem is I have a 2 story townhouse with no possibility of moving a bed downstairs so I have to make it upstairs every night. Other than hiring someone is this even possible? Any ideas? At all??

TIA

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help: On crutches with 5m old

Im sorry to hear about your knee!

I had a broken ankle when my oldest dd was about 6 months old. My dog pulled me down a flight of stairs!

i did alot of carrying her in the snugli (back then I didnt know about mts, she is 7 now!) but be careful b/c it could throw off your center of gravity/balance.

Also, my trick was to get a kitchen or office chair on wheels. Like the computer chair. I would rest my broken leg in the seat with my dd and push off with the other non broken leg. I was able to do it all this way! I imagine with a knee though it would be more difficult. Perhaps you could sit the other way on the seat with your dd on your lap that way? You could push off backwards with the mobile leg.

As for stairs, I just went down on my butt Could you get an air mattress for downstairs until your better?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry mama , I know how difficult it is to live in a townhome without a bum knee. I also think you should consider setting up camp downstairs, if possible. ITA with the prev poster about getting a computer chair, and keep your dc in something mobile most of the time (like a walker)
Old 03-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hadn't even thought of the office chair! I'm going to have DH dig it out for me (we're in a temporary house so the office is all storage) and wheel around that way. That will definitely help! Thanks so much!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
crunchymomma
Banned
seller

Let me know if you think up anything great momma. I am having knee surgery Monday and am dreading it! Atleast my 6 month old isn't tooooo mobile yet
crunchymomma is offline   Reply With Quote