Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #51
aimee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My bumGenius rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterBun
It's Cushing's Acid Dye.. I get it at a LYS near me (well relatively near me - it's about an hour and a half drive!). I've also ordered it online from http://www.thebellwether.com/ but unless you are ordering a lot, the shipping kills you (they ship priority though, so that's why).

The colors I used were purple, orange with a teensie bit of buttercup yellow,and wild rose.

I dyed these using the same method I'd use for wool.. pot of hot water (I heat mine until it gets wispy steam on top, but not boiling, then turn the heat all the way down), about 1/2c vinegar, and an appropriate amount of dye... one of those packets of cushings will dye a LOT so you don't need much at all... better to use not enough and have to add more later than to start off with too much

It takes about 15-20 minutes for the nylon to take up enough dye to be a decent color. That would probably apply for koolaid as well... you do need to keep moving around the bumGenious in the dye solution every few minutes to get a nice even color.. and it needs to stay submurged, but it's pretty easy to manage

So I could use this same method, but with KA instead? I was about to order some of that dye, but saw someone else say you could use KA, if that would work I want to try that instead.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #52
wholesomemama
Registered Users
seller

Wonderful job, I can't wait to try it myself. How many packets of KoolAid and how much water to a 1/2 vigegar?

TIA!
wholesomemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #53
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those are gorgeous! Heck, who needs to spend $18+ ship for 4 colors available when you can have a prettier rainbow of whatever you choose with white!!! I need to pick up some used ones & try that! Been wanting to try a BG anyway....
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #54
mamas120
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those look awesome!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #55
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

wow
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #56
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesomemama
Wonderful job, I can't wait to try it myself. How many packets of KoolAid and how much water to a 1/2 vigegar?

TIA!
No idea how many packets of kool-aid, though I would guess 2-4 (you can always start with one, and add more until you get the color you want), and enough water to easily cover the diaper with enough room to easily smoosh it around. I used a stock pot about 2/3 full
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #57
patty_o_furniture
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, just had to try this! I used two packets of KoolAid and about a cup of vinegar in the hot water. I used grape but the color turned more rose. I wasn't pleased with the color, but just because I was hoping for purple. It turned out great otherwise though. The color has been steadfast through one really good washing. I assume it will fade eventually but it still looks great now!
patty_o_furniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #58
mtietz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

WOW! Looks great, Sarah! Nice work!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #59
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_o_furniture
OK, just had to try this! I used two packets of KoolAid and about a cup of vinegar in the hot water. I used grape but the color turned more rose. I wasn't pleased with the color, but just because I was hoping for purple. It turned out great otherwise though. The color has been steadfast through one really good washing. I assume it will fade eventually but it still looks great now!
Well at least you have girls, right? I personally found KA to be a bit unpredictable with colors when I first started dyeing wool... which is why I quickly moved on to other dye.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote