Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
cottongirl
Registered Users
seller

Overnight training pants?

At what point did you more experienced moms switch to training pants for overnight? I see daytime training pants in the near future for dd 9mo, but I don't know when I should start considering pull-up type pants for nights.

We are not really considering night-time EC, and dd still nurses a few times a night (much more than that if we don't have a good stay-dry liner in). Do you put dc in a pull-up trainer for overnight even if they are wetting it a fair amount every night? Or is that for later on, when she's staying dry most of the time?

Thanks!

Advertisement

cottongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Overnight training pants?

imo, trainers are for when they are staying dry most of the time. they arent really made to contain multiple pees. older dd went to trainers/undies at 12 months bc she was dry through the night 99% of the time. younger dd is in trainers during the day and diapers for naps and night bc she always wakes up soaked.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
cottongirl
Registered Users
seller

Overnight urine production, general thoughts on training pants

I've been thinking about this one a lot... I tend towards the philosophy that training pants are there to make it easier for you to potty the baby, not necessarily to be used as "backup" once you're already doing well. What I'm thinking of when I say trainers is more like "pull-up diapers" -- something that will function just like my prefolds except that they will go up and down easier.

I think we would do a lot better during the day -- and especially out in public where there's not always a changing table near the bathroom -- if it were easier for us to potty dd, which is why I'm considering going to trainers even though dd only goes on the potty about 50% of the time. We always change her after one pee anyway -- except overnight, and I don't mind stuffing a pocket-style training pant for overnight if it's actually going to help.

But I'm skeptical that night-time potty trips will actually be beneficial. I'm really really fuzzy about this but I think I've heard something about how their bodies need to learn to stop producing urine while they sleep -- does anyone have any insight on the biology of all this? I guess I'm afraid that training her to empty her bladder multiple times in the middle of the night will condition her body to produce more pee overnight rather than waiting till morning, and that will make it harder for her to stay dry at night as an older child. But I REALLY don't like making decisions based on a faulty understanding of science, so if anyone can clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Laura
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Overnight urine production, general thoughts on training pants

i understand what youa re saying yes trainers are to make it easier to potty them. mine are absorbant enough for one pee, maybe 2 but are not made to be left on for long while soaked, kwim?
we stop drinks after dinner(maybe one sip of water but no cups normally) and on days when we stick to this dd does not wet. if dh gives her juice after dinner or right before bed we do either wake her up before we go to bed to potty or she ill wake up wet.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
cottongirl
Registered Users
seller

That makes sense. It will be a while before dd is dry overnight -- she still nurses two or three (or four or five) times a night. But some of those times, I think she just wants to potty and doesn't really need to nurse, even for comfort (except to comfort her for not getting to go potty... poor thing). It would be nice if pottying her would solve the sleep issues, but there's no way I'm going to take her to her room to take off her diaper, and then to the potty, then back to her room to put her diaper back on, and then back to our room to sleep.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would actually take her to potty if she were in training pants. So maybe it's a moot point.

I just noticed your signature. So sorry for your loss.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
stewartjess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't physiologically make your body stop producing urine, you're just training the sphincter to stay closed during the night.