Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: If I am a site supporter, why am I seeing flat tummy adds?

First off, holy toolbars!

Second, you're using internet explorer - that's about 95% of your problem. IE is horrible, and doesn't have the versatility of other browsers.

Take a look at my screenshot of my browser - see if you can notice the difference:

Note how the only ads I have on there are the ones for the specific forums? That's courtesy of Adblock Plus, an addon for a browser called Mozilla Firefox. If I really wanted to get fancy, I could block the individual forums ones too, but they are hand picked and hand approved by the mods/admins here, so I trust them to be ok. The ones that are either objectionable or cause serious slowdown or even allow viruses in are the ones served by third parties - probably the main cash generators for our beloved DS, but because they're not approved by our admins and are served by other people, they can be a problem.

How to block the ads yourself:

1. Download and install Mozilla Firefox - the link is above.

2. Use it to surf the web from now on. When you first load it, it should give you the option to import your favorites from IE. This will not harm IE at all, so others can still use it.

3. Download adblock plus. The option to browse Addons is on the tools menu at the top, and the third option down. When the second window opens, if Adblock Plus is not one of the options, click the link to browse all addons. It'll be one of the first ones on there - easily the hands down favorite addon for obvious reasons. You may have to restart either your computer, firefox or both to get the addon to install.

Once both are installed, enjoy being ad free! If ever you see an offensive ad that the blocker didn't get on it's own, or even a picture that you don't like, you can always right click on it and select the option to block it, never to see it again. It makes surfing the internet a MUCH more pleasant experience, and ups the security on your computer, as a good number of virus infestations come from poorly written or malicious ad serving code.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
flutterbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: stephanie23
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
First off, holy toolbars!

Second, you're using internet explorer - that's about 95% of your problem. IE is horrible, and doesn't have the versatility of other browsers.

Note how the only ads I have on there are the ones for the specific forums? That's courtesy of Adblock Plus, an addon for a browser called Mozilla Firefox. If I really wanted to get fancy, I could block the individual forums ones too, but they are hand picked and hand approved by the mods/admins here, so I trust them to be ok. The ones that are either objectionable or cause serious slowdown or even allow viruses in are the ones served by third parties - probably the main cash generators for our beloved DS, but because they're not approved by our admins and are served by other people, they can be a problem.

2. Use it to surf the web from now on. When you first load it, it should give you the option to import your favorites from IE. This will not harm IE at all, so others can still use it.

3. Download adblock plus. The option to browse Addons is on the tools menu at the top, and the third option down. When the second window opens, if Adblock Plus is not one of the options, click the link to browse all addons. It'll be one of the first ones on there - easily the hands down favorite addon for obvious reasons. You may have to restart either your computer, firefox or both to get the addon to install.

Once both are installed, enjoy being ad free! If ever you see an offensive ad that the blocker didn't get on it's own, or even a picture that you don't like, you can always right click on it and select the option to block it, never to see it again. It makes surfing the internet a MUCH more pleasant experience, and ups the security on your computer, as a good number of virus infestations come from poorly written or malicious ad serving code.
I know my toolbars!! I dont have much time to play on the puter and when i do i dont feel like messing with getting them off. I downloaded firefox and the addons but i am still seeing ads. They are not the tummy ones so thats ok. Anyways thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I see the same ads all the time on IE!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Guys---seriously--I know it is hard to make a change. I refused to try Mozilla Firefox for the longest time, but dh finally convinced me to just TRY IT OUT.

I swear you will never go back to Internet Explorer!!! I don't see ads on Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Diaperswappers, etc.

NO ADS.

I never ever get viruses or trojans. I love the simplicity of Firefox, although there are plenty of bells and whistles if you want them!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was/am using Firefox and I still got the ads with the site supporter and nothing changed when I canceled it.

I have seen 2 new tummy ads today and they are worse then the ones before. I am not trying to be snarky but why are these so hard to get rid of OUR are they paying DS to advertise here?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #26
Amanda L
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post

I already used Firefox so I just added the Adblock Plus and it seems to have worked!

Thank you!

Amanda L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
lindsey.leanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRocks View Post
I was/am using Firefox and I still got the ads with the site supporter and nothing changed when I canceled it.

I have seen 2 new tummy ads today and they are worse then the ones before. I am not trying to be snarky but why are these so hard to get rid of OUR are they paying DS to advertise here?
I just opened ds in both firefox, IE, and Safari and don't get ads on any of them. That makes me think that it may be an issue with your computer or settings...

What version of IE are you using?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #28
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the newest firefox that is offered. I also know tons of other people that still get the ads in FF too. Just to see if it was something with my personal laptop I went and tried it on my 8 y/o's computer and it also came up and also on our desktop.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #29
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you need the add-on, noscript, also for firefox?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #30
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, so now its worse then ever. I can't believe how **** these adds are!

PLEASE, WHY ARE WE BEING SUBJECT TO THESE ADDS AS MOMS?????

WE WHO WEAR OUR SAGGY STOMACHS AS A RITE OF PASSAGE THROUGH MOTHERHOOD.

CAN'T WE SEE SOME CLOTH DIAPER ADDS ORGANIC CLOTHING ADDS WOODEN TOY ADDS??????

I"M PAYING TO NOT SEE THESE ADDS, COME ON ALREADY!!!!