Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #91
nighty-night mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: UPDATED I know it should not bother me still...but it does

Lots of people have said there are scriptures about nursing.. where? I need help defending NIP. My Dh owrks at a christian camp and we also live here. I need to be able to defend nursing my dd whereever I need to instead of having to run home all the time. PM as I don't get to read threads often thanks!!!

Advertisement

nighty-night mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #92
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

That is a truly beautiful picture and I just wished I had one of me nursing my daughter that looked that good. The ones I have are me immediately post c section (not pretty) and camera phone pics!!!!!

I agree that there is something wrong with a church pastor when they will agree to attack a woman for breastfeeding and call it anything remotely related to being sexual.

I bet if you simply ask the female members of the church about their breastfeeding "suggestions" you will find out what the norm is. It may not be what you want to hear, but at least it won't come at you when you are truly vulnerable with a hungry crying baby!! If it isn't "accepted" maybe you can work on changing their ideas now for you and other moms!
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #93
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighty-night mama View Post
Lots of people have said there are scriptures about nursing.. where? I need help defending NIP. My Dh owrks at a christian camp and we also live here. I need to be able to defend nursing my dd whereever I need to instead of having to run home all the time. PM as I don't get to read threads often thanks!!!
A few I can think of:

"Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you." Isaiah 49:15

"That you may be feed and be satisfied with the consolation of her bosom, that you may drink deeply and be delighted with the abundance of her glory. For thus says the Lord: 'Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream. Then you shall feed; on her sides shall you be carried, and be dandled on her knees. As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; and you shall be comforted in Jerusalem." Isaiah 66:11-12
(God used the picture of a nursing mother to describe HIMSELF!)

"But You are He who took me out of the womb; You made me trust while on my mother's breasts." Psalm 22:9

"Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have perfected praise." Matthew 21:16

And there are more references to nursing or weaning (Isaac (Genesis 21:8), Moses (Exodus 2:7-9), Samuel (1 Samuel 1:22) or a weaned child (Psalm 131:2).

And when the people were called for a sacred assembly, it included nursing babes (Joel 2:16) and I'm almost certain nursing infants were also specifically mentioned to be there at the reading of the law...I'll try to find the specific verse for that later. (eta: I can't find it specifically about nursing infants again, but in Joshua 8:35 and also in 2 Kings 23:2 it says that everyone, all, small and great was there, and includes little ones.)

So, there's a start. (I'll pm this to you in case you don't get to check in).

ETA: Oh, and I forgot all about this... God's name 'El Shaddai' (translated in the Bible as 'God Almighty') comes from EL - the powerful, mighty, eternal God; and SHADDAI - comes from the root word, 'shad' which is the Hebrew word for breast. It literally means 'the breasted one'. This is a picture of God Himself as a nursing mother - One who longs to comfort us, protect us, nurture us and gather us in His arms. He is the God who is all nourishing and all sufficient. El Shaddai is the God Who is Enough. He is able to totally satisfy all of our needs. He is the God of total provision. (from The Power of Motherhood).

Last edited by *Hadassah*; 07-25-2009 at 08:17 PM.
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #94
lactatinglady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh WOW!

I was shocked reading your post! My jaw dropped! I could never ever imagine that happening to me at church. This makes me so angry I am so sorry. God gave you the ability to nurture and feed your child and its beautiful. It may take time for you to feel comfortable nursing in church again after such a horrible experience like that but over time it will get easier. I am pretty sure that would not happen in most churches as breastfeeding is gods design for mother and child. After something like that happening I would be nervous also. I would pray about it because god is the one who can give you comfort in a situation like this. I would love to grab all my nursing friends and all sit nursing in the main entry I hope this gets easier for you.
lactatinglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #95
mams mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

You know its not like they had formula back in the biblical times, what does your x-pastor think Mary fed Jesus, and I bet anything back then it was thought of as a shameful act either, that was the only way to do it, bays prob died if you didnt feed them that way. Sounds like those people prob have something that htey are ashamed of themselves so they are just trying to pass on the feeling so they dont feel so alone.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #96
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can kindof see why that picture would upset a pastor. While it is not "sick" or "sexual" in anyway, it does show quite a bit of skin in a religion that wants you to be modest... (I think it's a beautiful picture, but I can see where a pastor would be upset, and personally I would not have posted it on a public web forum)..

HOWEVER....... the issue on nursing in church.. there shouldn't even BE an issue. It's totally natural and it's what God gave us breasts for!!!!

When I had to nurse Noah in church, I always did it with him in my sling. My sling has a long "tail" that could easily be used to cover up with. And it's made of solarveil, so it's very light weight and it breaths.

You shouldn't feel nervous or upset about nursing in church. Just stay as covered as possible.

Honestly, I don't even use a nursing cover when I'm out and about, because neither of my boys would nurse with a blanket over their head..but I did take a little extra caution at church, given the "atmosphere." I NEVER had a church memer approach me with a complaint.

I'm so sorry that this whole situation has caused you such great upset. I think the way it was appraoched was completely wrong and very harsh. I think that the pastor should have been a little gentler and kinder in his "reprimand."

Good luck honey!
And God bless!!!

Michelle

PS Jesus was breast fed and cloth diapered, and probably co-slept

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #97
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to thank everyone for their words of encouragement. This is an issue that I am still dealing with and I dealing with it to the best of my ability. I am sure that one day I will be able to talk to my Pastor or maybe his wife about it or maybe I will get to the point where I will comfortable enough that I won't have to worry about it.
Until then I am taking it all one day at a time.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #98
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's really all you CAN do mama!!! Throw some prayer in there too. God loves to comfort us, but wants us to talk to him.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #99
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I know it should not bother me still...but it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
Oh, honey, that is SO SAD! Do they think Jesus was not breastfed? If the pastor was offended, it's because he's fallen into the over-sexualizing of women and their breasts instead of viewing them for what they're actually there for. FEEDING BABIES! What a jerk! I wouldn't want him as my pastor, either. I'm so so so sorry you had to go through that. What was it? Like a nursing intervention? Jeez!

I would TOTALLY talk to your new pastor about it. My DH is a pastor, and I know he would want to know your past, fears, so he could help you through it.

Breastfeeding is so beautiful. I breastfed my babies RIGHT in the front row! Every single service, I fed them and never left! I rarely ever wore a cover either!

I play the piano with my DD in my beco on my back! And both my babies wear wool everytime they go to church!

My congregation may find me a little weird, but most love my nature side, and find it very refreshing!

Where do you live