Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Moving tomorrow, DH starts his new job on Wednesday...

We're really hoping that all will go well this time. DH was finally told by the director that the replacement had been found (good thing I got DH to ask the director since it had reached the end of the month because the replacement was coming the 24th!). Fortunately, he had a recruiter he had been talking to and she had a school that needed a new teacher ASAP so the director was able to get the replacement to come the 22nd and we're moving tomorrow! Yikes! Everything went very quick but it's for a public school, for fewer hours, and NO kindergarten! It's also in the Yongin City, South Korea area (where Everland is). There was a little bit of a pay cut but I think we can deal with that since it will give DH more time with DD and maybe that will help DD not have so much energy to challenge us all the time.

NOW, if we can only maybe meet some people we would be comfortable enough to leave DD with so that DH and I can FINALLY get a date night! The last time DH and I had some time alone without DD there was more than a year and a half ago and I really am missing my time alone with him. DD is just too much of a challenge to take out with us.

Advertisement

My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Moving tomorrow, DH starts his new job on Wednesday...

Can you hire a maid? Most countries in asia have maids for reasonable salaries. Not sure about s korea though. We live in thailand and have a maid. The best part of having a maid is that we have a babysitter whenever we want. AT first I didn't want a maid but we kind of inherited her. The guy tha used to be in my husband's job went back to the US and promised his maid we would hire her. I didn't have the heart to tell her no. She's been a real blessing though.

Otherwise, you really have to put yourself out there to make friends. Look for expats clubs or try and do get togethers with other families who work at the school. I joined the international ladies club which was hard for me because I'm not a joiner but I've made lots of friends. 3 or 4 that I know will be friends for life and would drop anything if I needed them.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Trauem Was Schoenes
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hope the move went well! Is there anyone your DH works with (or used to work with) that you could maybe trust your daughter with?
Trauem Was Schoenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just finally got internet today. Whew. It's been an interesting move, that's for sure. Kind of disappointing because pretty much, we sort of got dumped here and left to fend for ourselves. We finally got internet but it's been taking a lot to get things done. I don't think people realize that when teachers come here, they do sort of need help getting settled in, especially a family, and therefore just dumping a teacher in an apartment with no dishes, pots, pans, or any of that stuff really isn't cool. *sigh*

So, at this point, since this is an area we've never been in before and therefore, we don't really know where anything is (DH though, did accidentally find the Home Plus by taking the wrong bus), we'll be taking the two hour by subway trip back to Ilsan here and there. Frustrating but until we get to know this area well enough or I start finding people closer to here (like Seoul or Youngsan) who can show me where stuff in their area is. Fortunately, for the next month, DH is done with work and home by 3pm so I can take off and get what I need to get then. Kind of sucks to have to go so far but I know where stuff is in Ilsan and I know what buses and subways to take and all that. My friends are also in Ilsan so I'll be making the trip every now and then to see them.

Just wish I could find more people to meet up with especially now when DH is home in the afternoons and can take DD because, in all honesty, she's just too much of a handful to take out right now.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote