View Poll Results: At what age did you begin feeding solids?
0-3 months 2 1.96%
4-6 months 45 44.12%
6-8 months 43 42.16%
8-10 months 7 6.86%
10-12 months 5 4.90%
1+ year 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #21
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age did you start solids?

my 9 month old eats table food. it's crazy and totally not what I would have preferred, but he WANTS it. He will scream at us if he sees us eating food and we don't give him any. He has been super interested in food since like 5 months old. I started giving him baby food at 6 months, but he doesn't like any jarred baby food, only the fruit that I make mixed with cereal. Other than that he wants whatever we are eating. So we give him a little bit. I think he has a wooden leg, I swear it!

His brother (now 2) didn't eat table food until over 1 year and only ate baby food from about 6 months up. And only small amounts. He was not interesed in food at all. It took him forever before he would start feeding himself....my 9 month old already feeds himself all the time....

Advertisement

Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
A'smommy
Registered Users

We offered rice cereal at 8 months but she spit it out. HATED IT. So we didn't force the issue. Really she didn't eat much solid food til she was about 15 months old. We OFFERED it, but she just played with it mostly. Then all of a sudden at about 14 months she wolfed down a bowl of mac n cheese and another of organic ice cream---at one meal! (We were at a function at a 5 star restuarant and the waiter absolutely fell in love with her and insisted she needed gourmet mac n cheese and organic ice cream....I thought she'd just make a huge mess, but she ate it ALL!)

Don't worry, they'll let you know when they're ready.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #23
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

with my oldest I was told he was breastfeeding too much so at 4 weeks I tried introducing him to solids. Well all he did was scream and I hgave that up after a couple of weeks and waitied until he was 4 months old. With my DD, I introduced solids around 5 months.

With my youngest, I waited until he was 6 months old since the reccomendations for introducing solids had changed from 10 years ago.

I will be waiting until at least 6 months old with this new baby as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #24
jenneonthespot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 was formula fed, and I started him at 4 mos. I was so excited to get DS2 to nurse, that by the time 6mos rolled around I had kinda forgotten about introducing solids. I think I started around 7mos, at his "request." We also never did too much baby food- went pretty much to table food.

jenneonthespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #25
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetforestcat View Post
with my oldest I was told he was breastfeeding too much so at 4 weeks I tried introducing him to solids. Well all he did was scream and I hgave that up after a couple of weeks and waitied until he was 4 months old. With my DD, I introduced solids around 5 months.

With my youngest, I waited until he was 6 months old since the reccomendations for introducing solids had changed from 10 years ago.

I will be waiting until at least 6 months old with this new baby as well.
I'm sorry, I really have to ask???? Who would tell you that a 4 week old is nursing too much and tell you to introduce solids?
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #26
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I started DD3 at 8 or 9 months, I forget which. I did it because I didn't want to fool with babyfood this time around. At 8mos she had plenty of teeth, so I went on offering her soft steamed veggies, fruit, cheerios, etc. And some cereal because she was low on Iron.

With my twins, I started them around 7 mos, they ate babyfood until close to 9 mos, and then finger foods. I hated the babyfood stage though, so when DD3 came around we just nursed until she was ready for finger foods!
6 on the road
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #27
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Our ped says you can start at 4-6 months, however, he also follows it up with "they don't really need baby food". He says it's fine to wait and go straight to table food. It's much easier to skip the whole baby food stage. I'd also say there's not really a wrong or right here, do what works for you.
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote