Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
K-Murph
Registered Users
Formerly: yuja
seller

My Mood:
WTH? Need help from pocket experts!

I've been using pockets doubled-stuffed with flats for nighttime. I recently stripped them with RLR, and I'm still having problems. Last night I woke up to leaks - again. The DS likes to sleep on his sleep and tummy. The front half of the inserts (flats, actually) were soaked, so the problem is NOT repelling or not enough absorbency. There were no gaps at the thighs or waist, either. At least I don't think there were ... So what gives?

Advertisement

K-Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WTH? Need help from pocket experts!

OK - looks like a case of plain ol' cotton. I love cotton, hemp and bamboo for inserts but they simply aren't the best at distributing wetness across teh whole insert. Because of this a tummy sleeping front wetter can leak when the front reaches max absorbency. Simplest solution would be to add in a doubler with either microfiber (which I hate - stink issues big time especially with night dipes, but they do the job) or zorb in it on TOP of your flats to help distribute the wetness better. Or else you'd have to add mor absorbency to the front by upgrading to bamboo or hemp inserts or the like.

That's my take anyhow. Maybe some other mama's have better suggestions.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
MamaBearTo5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP... it's time to either upgrade to another fabric cause apparently your soaker needs more absorbancy... OR stuff a microfiber towel in there trifolded and see what happens.

I have a couple of hemp nightime inserts that a mama on here made for me for about 6 bucks each. They are SOOOO absorbant. They stood up to my 2/5 yr old overnight. NOTHING was doing that for me.
Check on FSOT for overnight inserts.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
twolittlewhales
Registered Users
Formerly: rach0479

I agree that you need more absorbency. I think you will notice a difference with hemp added or using a microfiber/hemp combo. I have used pockets (or stuffable AIOs) exclusively for bedtime for DD and my DS.
twolittlewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
lauramaynot
Registered Users
seller
seller

also make sure since you have a ds that his stuff is pointed down...when my ds leaks at night it's usually due to bad positioning
Samuel Sluder 16 Sarah Rose 14 Adam Frank 13 Eliza Gray 6 Benjamin Elias 4 Alice Catherine 1 And #7 coming Aug 2013
lauramaynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
stork
Registered Users

I second lauramaynot's suggestion to make sure he's pointing down when you put on the diaper! Also, what brand of diaper are you using? If a lower rise, it may not work as well for a boy tummy sleeper. Lastly, with boys, tucking one or two hemp ovals (part of a Happy Heinys hemp stuffin, but you can also buy just the oval separately) right up in front of the diaper give extra absorbency exactly where a boy needs it.

Hope that helps!

Louisa, WAHM to Joanna - 2, Blake - 5, and Kyle - 25
Owner, The Stork Wearhouse
stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would agree with other PPs on that you need more absorption. Not necessarily more bulk. I would try a microfiber closest to him in the pocket with your flats. That way you have something to quickly soak up moisture. Cotton and hemp are slower at soaking liquids up. Or something like hemp in that boy area in the trifold if it's just too much liquid.

We use SuperDo's for night time inserts now. They are pricey but sooo worth the money.

Last edited by Ducko; 07-26-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

we use greenhorn super sleepy's and they are fabulous, they are pricey but you won't regret them imho my super soaker wakes up without leaks in them, gl!
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
K-Murph
Registered Users
Formerly: yuja
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramaynot View Post
also make sure since you have a ds that his stuff is pointed down...when my ds leaks at night it's usually due to bad positioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by stork View Post
I second lauramaynot's suggestion to make sure he's pointing down when you put on the diaper! Also, what brand of diaper are you using? If a lower rise, it may not work as well for a boy tummy sleeper. Lastly, with boys, tucking one or two hemp ovals (part of a Happy Heinys hemp stuffin, but you can also buy just the oval separately) right up in front of the diaper give extra absorbency exactly where a boy needs it.

Hope that helps!

Louisa, WAHM to Joanna - 2, Blake - 5, and Kyle - 25
Owner, The Stork Wearhouse

You know what, the DH said the exact same thing about the positioning!! I did start to notice that the leaks happen when I forget to point his wee-wee down ... last LAST NIGHT! I should let the DH put on the nighttime diapers all the time because as a fellow boy, he wouldn't forget. Haha .... And I thought the DH doesn't know anything about diapering.

I do have four large HH hemp stuffins and ovals. The insert is still way too big for the LO, but once in a while I have used a flat and two ovals for nighttime. I should do that more often.
K-Murph is offline   Reply With Quote