Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #51
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: In need of a little cheering up..

I know, people can be so judgemental! We are not "unique" namers, but we did have a requirement that their names (both of them) were not in the top 50 of the SSN list. Anyway, when I was pg w/ Claire, we had it down to 5 names, which we often shared w/ people (Claire, Lilly, Fiona, Gillian & Sophie...and Vivian was in there for awhile). We got almost universal disgust or outright amazement from Fiona! I was amazed! DH is Australian and my family is English and that is a "normal" name over there (but not here, apparently). Several people said "Oh, is that after Princess Fiona in Shrek?". Yeah, I'm naming my unborn after a cartoon ogre!?!?!! What are people thinking? Anyway, Fiona soon dropped out of the running mostly because of the negative attention. I am happy w/ the name we picked, it fits her. However, she also would have fit Fiona & Lilly... Sorry mama that you had to see some immature women try to make themselves feel more important by trashing someone else!

Advertisement

Last edited by kezoo; 03-02-2007 at 05:31 PM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #52
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to say on top of all the awesome support that you have recieved here, I think her name is beautiful. Definately different, but beautiful.

Isn't it just awful the things that us as mothers do to eachother?! I hope that mommas can open up their eyes and see that if we all just banded together how much easier life would be for everyone. We all go through the same deals in life just in a different way. I am sorry that they bashed your princess this way. It is too bad that in order to feel better about themselves they had to bring an innocent into the picture. I personally would let them have a peice of my mind if it were me. Not in the sense of yelling and hollaring at them, but letting them know just how childish they are and how it looks when grown women decide that they have to bash other grown women and their children. you could let them know that what if you were to take a formula feeding momma from there and bash her for choosing formula instead of breast and let her know how she is harming her baby, or vice versa with a mother who choose to breast feed...or mommas who chose to cd over sposies....it all boils down to the same thing and I suspect many of them are not seeing it in this light.

You have a beautiful baby and she is blessed to have a momma who chose such a perfect and unique name just for her!
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #53
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
I was going to say the same thing to Emma's mom. It took me a long time to figure out that it's not what's on a birth certificate that makes a name official or "real," it's what the family and the child feel comfortable with and use. My DH's name is Opas, but everyone calls him Billy, if you asked him what his "real" name is he would say Billy. If you start calling her Pepper now it will stick lol. And if she's the adorable little girl in your avi then I think Pepper would suit her better than Emma! Pepper reminded me of another name we considered for Whilder Sesame nn "Sammy"
I just saw this! It's actually funny you mention this idea, because my hubby has brought that up a couple times. She has SO many nicknames, it might take considerable effort to get folks to call her Pepper. Right now its Emmy, Emma-Sue, Emma-belle, Emsie, Emma-Lee or Soleil (her middle name).
And thank you, for saying that it isnt necessarily whats on the birth certificate that matters....just hearing that actually makes me feel OK when I tell people she just doesnt seem like an Emma.

This is o/t, but Wilder is #2 on our list of possible boy names if we ever have one
Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #54
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd's name is Jacy Aleda...I love her name. I combined my mom's name and my mother in law's name (Jackie and Cyndi). Most people liked it...lol. As far as the middle name, mine is also Aleda, as well as my mom, grandma, great grandma....
My mother hates the name Aleda so much that she begged me not to give her the name. The funn part is that my grandma and I love it and our proud of the name!
If people don't like your child's name, then they don't have to use it! lol People are rude.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #55
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't listen to them. The most important fact is that you like the name. I like parents naming their children different names. My name is Kyna (keyna). I have always and always will hear people call me kina because that is how they think you say it. I don't care, I love my name. I have never ran into someone with the same name. Now if I go to Ireland I might as it's galic Irish. If ds was a girl her name would of been Feanna.I can't remember the correct spelling but that is how you woud say it. She was a Irish warrior in the middle ages. Who needs those ladies! They sound stuck up! Oh, those are very cute pictures of your dd.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #56
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Oooh, I especially love Kennebrooke!!

Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs169 View Post
Oh my goodness! mama. That is SO not OK for people to do that. How very rude and childish I have seen that website, and really, there are so many names listed on it for so many reasons that I wondered what names the person DID like. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I always think (when people make comments about my own babies' names) that they are a little jealous, since they often have chosen boring ones in comparison.

We had a similar experience to a PP. My first daughter is Allison. Fine name, but she was supposed to be something else. When we made the big mistake of sharing her other name, we got so much CRAP from family members about it. It was really awful. DH and I still regret giving her Allison as a name, although now it really does fit her. With my other two, we kept the names to ourselves until the baby was born (Selah and Kennebrooke). We will be doing that in the future as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #57
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I had an old coworker than named her girl Scarlett!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber Cherry View Post
We had just moved from New Orleans when I became pregnant with DD and were in love with the names Magnolia and Scarlett. Everyone we would tell either laughed outloud as if we were kidding or just plainly told us it was a bad idea. Afterwards I love the name we chose instead, but at the time I could have boxed ears! Harper Blythe is what we chose. And to this day my father calls her Harper Blah! To me that's funny.

I am sorry they are making fun of your DD's name. Somehow I think it's those that don't have a creative force within that are jealous of those who do!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #58
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WHat's you name if you don;t mind me asking?

Tara
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
you know - I know you don't need any more positive support but these are the things I say to myself when stuff like this happens to me (and it did happen - a lot after DS2 was born)

"mean people suck"

and

"some people are just idiots"

all of your children have beautiful names (as I saw on the pic & name thread )

they will grow to love them one day - I know I did mine - to this day is is mispronounced but oh well!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #59
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Reason#5,329 why I don't post on BBC anymore! I think a lot of those moms are rude, immature and just plain NASTY sometimes! I was fortunate enough to get outta that place with a very lovely group of friends to a private board we have. Only WE can see it, only WE can post and we would NEVER say things like that to each other or anyone else for that matter! People can be so insensitive and rude and you KNOW they'd never say that to your face!
I would personally turn the thread in to BBC and have it removed considering they are using YOUR name specifically and YOUR baby's hopsital page!! Very very mean!!

BTW- Your dd's name is unique and VERY pretty!! I would tell them to KMA!!
Thats what us Nov 05 SAHMs did too! Soo much nicer!

I love all these names! To the OP, Mama! I am so sorry this happened to you and yoour beautiful child! People can be so ignorant and cruel! I still get crap about my name, people never grow up!