Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
finn's mom
Registered Users
My Mood:
I think I am losing it

My mind that is. DS is usually so independent. I can be in a different room, and as long as he has his toys, or music he is fine. Suddenly, if I am out of sight (including standing behind him) he completely freaks out. I can't do anything during the day (cleaning/sewing), I play with him, or sit on the floor on the laptop while he plays.
I don't know what happened. The only thing that changed recently was we left him for a few hours at the in-laws. They never said anything happened. According to them he cried when we left, and cried when we showed up. But was fine between those 2 points.
I can't keep functioning like this. And I can't let him scream while I do things .I am at my wits end, it took me almost 2 hours to put him to bed.
Has anyone else dealt with this? What do I do to help him? How do I explain to my 19 month old that mommy leaves, but she always comes back? Is it just this age? I am usually close to tears the past few nights when bedtime rolls around.

Holly proud Mommy to Finn
finn's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
My Mood:
Re: I think I am losing it

Sounds like a stage- hopefully it won't last long- I know exactly how frustrating it can be!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: Luvmyboysmom

I'm going through this same thing w/ my son right now. I can't leave a room w/o him coming w/ me. If I'm out of sight for a minute, he yells '' where are you! Don't leave me!" He's even been calling me "mama". And he has a great vocabularly and speaks very clearly. He won't even let dh do anything for him, I have to do it all!
I don't have any advice, but I have sympathy, it's driving me crazy too.
Mama to my 4 crazy :beautiful boys (7-2-02) (4-20-04) (5-2-06) (12-27-07) and now a sweet, precious, beautiful baby girl (10-2-09) Married to my bestfriend , SAHM, co-sleeping baby-wearing mama
SunnyHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

My two were like that - they just wanted to be wherever I was. I guess that I just lived with it and they tagged along. I've always made a point of telling them where I'm going in the house, but yes, kiddos just like keeping you in sight. I made sure that they each had a good nap after lunch, and that was my time for getting things done (but only things that I wanted to do, not chores!)
Catering to the whims of Pippy-Bob and Lou!
Otherwise, making MyHatty fleece hats and PippyBob Fluffypants fleece soakers!
rafrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Registered Users

My kids have all gone through a phase like that. What gets me is when they do it to daddy, when they see him leave every morning for work and come home every night.

As for the cleaning part, have you thought about getting him his own rag and spray bottle (just water) and let him help?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote