Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
k-t-did
Registered Users
seller

Is this pain normal? Nursing while pg...

First off, my nipples are SUPER sensitive to the cold. Like, if I even eat ice cream, they contract, turn purple, and I have to put hot packs on them or get in the tub/shower to make them stop having terrible, horrible shooting pains through them.

They also hurt when I nurse my son. Soon as he latches...OUCH. Like when he was a newborn! This happens even when they are not cold.....

I want to tandem nurse so badly, but the pain is really giving me fits.

Is this just normal pg stuff, or could I have something going on? My left breast is worse, and it seems that the montgomery glands on that breast are enlarged and red looking......

any ideas?

Advertisement

k-t-did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this pain normal? Nursing while pg...

It's due to pregnancy. Sadly, since it's a hormonal thing, there's not really anything you can do about it. If they seem dry at all, you can put lanolin on them, but that's about it. Do you have any padded bras? I find that those help a little with the sensitivity to temperature.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
ummabbaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is in no way to scare you or discourage you. I'm just telling you my situation, everyone is diff. I would not bf while pregnant again because I began having very bad pain - it felt like my son was giving me a brush burn. One breast got so bad that i stopped nursing on that side. Then the otherside got that way too. The nipples began to crack and every time he latched on I got a sharp pain. One night he latched on and it hurt so much it caused me to stop bf'ing cold turkey. I felt horrible having to do it (emotionally and physically) but, I just couldn't take the pain. It wasn't improper latch as ds was about 15 months
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I hurt like hell when I was pg and nursing. I was actually glad my milk dried up at 10 wks becasue it was torture every single time. I just started nursing Ella again after Trenton was born. Good luck mama!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummabbaas View Post
This is in no way to scare you or discourage you. I'm just telling you my situation, everyone is diff. I would not bf while pregnant again because I began having very bad pain - it felt like my son was giving me a brush burn. One breast got so bad that i stopped nursing on that side. Then the otherside got that way too. The nipples began to crack and every time he latched on I got a sharp pain. One night he latched on and it hurt so much it caused me to stop bf'ing cold turkey. I felt horrible having to do it (emotionally and physically) but, I just couldn't take the pain. It wasn't improper latch as ds was about 15 months
It sounds like you may have had a case of thrush. Problems with yeast are fairly common in pregnancy. I've experienced just about all there is to experience in all my years of nursing and thrush is the one thing that has brought me to the brink of cold turkey weaning! Nursing through thrush is by FAR the WORST pain I've ever had! I'd rather give birth! My last case of thrush cause both my nipples to crack and bleed, it was AWEFUL.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When dd was 10 months old I got pg with ds1. Nursing went fine for the first 3 months and then started to hurt really badly. I ended up weaning her at 13 months because I was DREADING feedings. She was drinking cow's milk and eating lots and lots of regular table foods, so she didn't mind at all.

Do what you have to do! And if you can survive the pain, more power to you!
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
ummabbaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nope, i don't think it was thrush, i went to the doc before and after my doc didn't say anything nor did my sons doc but, who know sometimes they just don't say anything.