Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Snazzy Fannies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another cars seat question...

Hope you don't mind a tech-in-training's input. I have several of the Britax convertibles for my daycare kids. I LOVE THEM. They are worth every penny IMO. Now, most children will not make it to 65lbs in the Britax convertibles...the average seems to be around 50lbs (5ish yrs). Most kids outgrow them by height. Those same kids would of outgrown the typcial '40lbs' seats at around 3yrs...so while you don't make it to 65lbs, it's still harnesses for a much longer time...not to mention the install is wonderful and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the rf tether. Won't trade that one for the world! LOL

As for the AIO...the only thing they do well is rf. Beyond that...they stink IMO. Most kids outgrow them ff around 3yrs due to torso height...and I don't know about you, but I don't know too many 3yr olds who are mature enough to sit correctly in a BPB. And to make matters worse, it's not even a good BPB. You are far better off IMO to buy a Britax (if you can) then a dedicated booster (if your dc is old enough when they outgrow the Britax) or a Regent. If that's too much $$, get a Safety 1st Uptown (a cushy version of the Cosco Scenera w/taller harness heights) to rf to 35lbs, then ff for how ever long you have, then go to a Regent for the long haul.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
Let your neighbor make her carseat decisions and you can make your own. Just nod your head at her if she tries to give you grief. The best carseat for YOUR child is that one that fits them best at the time. That can and will change. Expecting one seat to go up to 100 pounds is crazy, IMHO.

We're looking for a Regent now because DS is 2 and a half and is 38" tall and 36.5 pounds right now. He's maxing his carseat and at 2 and a half I am not comfortable with putting him in a shoulder belt booster (when he hit the weight and height requirement). He doesn't have the sense God gave him, I love him but it's true. Not only do I believe 5-point harnesses are better as long as possible but he'd unbuckle the shoulder belt, I'm sure of it.

So, my own personal opinion is that your neighbor is the crazy one. 270.00 spent on the safety of your child is very little (if you have the money to spend - we were waiting for our income tax refund to come in to get ours).
Thank you very much for the advice. Yes I usually do really well with other people's "reactions", but with her I have such a hard time. I'm really making an effort to work on my response to her. Thanks mama!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

My five year old ds (about 43lbs) is in a Marathon, but he's so close to outgrowing it by height. We will then put him in a Regent. I don't think he's ready for a booster, he's barely over 40lbs and somewhat squirmy. I thought most carseats expired after six years, so it's unlikely they would ever make it to 100lbs. Ignore your neighbor!
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnkyliesmama View Post
We got an aio as a baby gift 3 years ago and my son is about to outgrow it heightwise and it's a piece of junk.He is to little to be unharnessed so we are now in the market for a new seat, I wish i had asked for a britax cause now we can't afford one.Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

court
How old is he, how much does he weigh? If you have headrests, you might check out the Cosco Apex. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I thought carseats should be replaced after 5-6 years anyway due to wear and tear and less stability of parts.

I know that my tastes change and I would hope that by 5 years after the birth or purchase that you would be able to save up some money to buy a new carseat even if that means putting aside $5 a month towards a future purchase of a newer carseat.

Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture, but I know after a couple of years, I want new fabric after fading, staining, etc.
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what age he'll be but we're planning on keeping DS in the 5-point harness until he outgrows it. But I'm sure he'll outgrow it by height before he gets to 65 pounds - he's really skinny.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by presleycaedmon View Post
DS is 5 years old and 60lbs and he is still in a 5pt harness that he will be in until he is 100lbs (Kid-Y Safetly Angel) and DD is in a britax decathalon that she will be in until she outgrows it then she will move to either a Kid-Y or a Regent.
Ok, I didn't know they even made a 5pt harness that went up to 100 pounds! What is the height though, because I didn't reach 100 pounds until I was in the 8th grade! There's no way I would have fit in a carseat.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote