Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: FL/TL Washer - Can't decide

Here it is: (I hope you can see it)

o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Witty title here
My Mood:

If I could go back and do it over again, I would not get a FL. It just uses SO little water that the dipes don't get rinsed effectively. I started doing this thing where I add water to the washer, through the detergent slot, but it's such a PITA and I end up doing about 3 full wash cycles with no detergent just to rinse them out. It sucks.
Lisa Mom to: Tyler 9/00 , Julia 12/02 and Ethan 3/07
Check out my photography at
RetroBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Ok I have a Neptune HE machine that is a top loader BUT the innards of the machine are indentical to a FL. However, I can add laundry after the fact.
There are a ton of things I do not like about HE machines. For one, they work best when completely full. The clothes need to be able to agitate on something to get clean. For instance, my toddler threw up not long ago in her bed. I stripped her bed down and threw her sheets (ONLY her sheets) in the washer. When the cycle was over I pulled out her pillow case and the vomit was UNTOUCHED. Gross! I also cannot use powder detergent in my HE machine or when I pull the clothes out the powder in not dissolved. Again this is in small loads only.
When I wash large loads, very easy to do with our family of 5, I have no issues and everything works really well.
That being said, my next washing machine will be an HE machine but one with an agitator. I think forgoing the agitator in HE machines is what causes a lot of the problems.
Just my 2 cents ;-)
Nikki, Mom to Clay (10), Annika (8) and Eden (3)
southernmom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Tad View Post
We went with an LG (not steam cleaning). I forget the model, but it was listed one of the best by consumer reports. It is the only one high on the list whose price is under $1000. We paid 799,-.

As for stink issues - I think those are due to being used to a top loading...I have not had problems so far, and like I mentioned, there is a whole continent using FLs, so they must work.
I had a front loader already when I started to CD and I have NO issues except for when I get used dipes and have to strip them before adding to my regular stash.. would totally buy a FL again and I love the Sanitary option.. I do wash every 2 days to keep the load size decent and it also keeps smells and stains in teh diaper pail to a minimum but it works for me

ETA: however, I have not figured out a good way to dye with a FL.. TL seems to work sooo much better for that my MIL and I are talkin about getting an extra TL and keep int eh garage just for dying things hehe oh.. and I rinse my wool in wool wash in my FL and have had no ill effects
ISO: Boy/GN GM's - well loved; wool L/S shirts 6-18m; Hanna A. Mocs; Lansinoh MilkBags;
IHA: Made-to-order wipes, woolies from sweaters & interlock, wool & cotton belly-warmers, nursing pads,
nursing shirts , and SUPER HERO CAPES!

Last edited by Merisong; 03-07-2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add..
Merisong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Registered Users

Originally Posted by o3b View Post
Here it is: (I hope you can see it)
I don't have an account so I can't get in that board to read, but thanks for all the input.

Thanks ladies keep the input coming. I'm going to share these with my DH and see if we can't make a good decision on how to go about the new washer issue.
Mommy to...K-Girl (06.30.04) & E-Man (05.30.07)
- my blog - New Meetup in York, PA
KelliandKaci is offline   Reply With Quote